Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma

Hello guys. When I purchase a vehicle I tend to eventually upgrade. I will make a parts/wishlist of everything I want. Most of the ideas for the 951 I got from the European car 951 they did a few years back. Right now I am stuck between Lindsey Racing's 340hp staged upgrade or going with seperate companies. Lindseys makes it easy because everything you have for that kit is there including turbo, and i believe a maf upgrade. But the magazine the first thing they replaced was the turbo. Mine has 200,000 miles on it. So I was thinking that would be a good starting point in the future. Maybe go with the Vitesse stealth upgrade for the turbo, Rogue for the Mtune, Fabspeed for the exhuast, and so forth for other parts one thing at a time. Vitesse supplies software with the stealth upgrade ie piggy back, and rogue has thier set of chips with the tune. Would one or the other interfer with each other? Or would you purchase one and tell the next person ie rogue I have this and this on my car and they work with that. Opinions wanted and appreciated. Once I make my list I will post it thank you everyone.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:43 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Old 11-06-2011, 06:48 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
Old 11-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

If your engine has 200K on it, you really need to rebuild it before adding more power.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, with 200k you'll really want to go through the engine, replace all bearings, seals, rings and do whatever machine work needs done. Would you rather paint on a nice new piece of canvas or one with rips and tears? Budget around $1000 for the parts and $500 or so for machine work. These estimates both can go up exponentially as you add more performance items or some hard parts are worn beyond spec., but it is a good baseline. Don't forget the rest of the car too, go through the brakes, the transmission, the CVs, the front and rear suspension and the electronics (bad grounds). You need everything in tip top shape before you go adding power if you want it to last any length of time.

Lindsey has a pretty comprehensive rebuilt kit for around $1000.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:52 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

Yep I saw the rebuild kit. I was definitely thinking about doing that first. Currently doing rear stub axles, bushings, belts, next onto. Control arms steering rack, tierod ends. I'm assuming it would be a good idea to replace all v hoses and coolant/heater hoses while im at it.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Take into consideration that if you dont do your own work, a rebuild might be $1500.00 in parts but $5-7k in labor alone
Old 11-07-2011, 01:55 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

Hey ****ers I did search, I just got abunch of things on people argueing about who's setup is best. They said for the price the lindsey kit is great. But for overall performance go with rogue,vitesse and this and that. Nothing about how they work together or if i would have to get it retuned for everything else. Or weather the chips from other **** would interfer with vitesse's piggy back.

Next I checked out the rebuild kit its 879 would it be smart/cheaper buying the rebuild kit and having a shop rebuild it.
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/ERK944TURBO.html

Or get one of these?
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...51-25L-LB.html

oh ya and for smartasses I searched that too and didn't find ****. Except which rebuild kits to look into like pelican and motor meister. Which doesn't fit my question either.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

So it might be cheaper buying a preassembled long block. Cause I have never done something as big as a rebuild.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:49 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpop8807
Hey ****ers I did search, I just got abunch of things on people argueing about who's setup is best. They said for the price the lindsey kit is great. But for overall performance go with rogue,vitesse and this and that. Nothing about how they work together or if i would have to get it retuned for everything else. Or weather the chips from other **** would interfer with vitesse's piggy back.

Next I checked out the rebuild kit its 879 would it be smart/cheaper buying the rebuild kit and having a shop rebuild it.
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/ERK944TURBO.html

Or get one of these?
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...51-25L-LB.html

oh ya and for smartasses I searched that too and didn't find ****. Except which rebuild kits to look into like pelican and motor meister. Which doesn't fit my question either.
Hey what does this mean "****ers" Chulo seriously calm down. Now if you would have search.
1. you have found out you should rebuild your motor 1st.
2. make sure everything is sound 1st.
3. you would have also seen that Vitesse and Rouge both have Piggy back so why would you mix up the 2 unless you already have one or the other.
4. your SEARCH papi would have found out Paragon also sells rebuild kits
5. theres also a thread on here that compares all the vendors and the products and strengths and weakness.
6. in your lovey search you would have also found out why ppl mix and match from vendors.

Now if you couldnt find none of this **** then maybe u should step away from your car and keyboard and give it to a mechanic and have him sort it out.

Kind regards,
Reno
Old 11-07-2011, 03:25 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, Jpop... where are you located? I bet there is someone close who might be able to lend some sage advice in person rather than on here..
Old 11-07-2011, 04:20 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

Killeen, TX Fort hood army base. Haha No offense in the ****ers comment. I ment it more as a smart *** way not serious bro.

Reno ok appreciate it.
1. The mechanic I took it too said that my compression tests where good enough so he said he doesn't feel like it needs to be rebuilt. 140,130,140,140 now I have no idea if that has any bearing on how good of shape the engine is in.
2. The full inspection he did told me to replace control arms, motor mounts, steering rack, tie rod ends, stub axles, and accessory belts, and the cam cover gasket. Timing belt was changed about 10k ago and so was alot of other stuff. Previous owners records.
3. I did seach I from what I saw vitesse was a piggy back unit and rogues tune has a chip for the dme and something else. Sorry coming from old supras and stuff like that usually a piggy back takes care of all. Well not all that would be a stand alone but you get my drift. New to this chips sound like something homos with mustangs use. All I know is flashes, piggys, and EMS.
4. WTF I know that alot of companys sell rebuild kits but the search doesn't tell if its better to buy a rebuilt small/long block or get a rebuild kit and have a good mechanic do it.
5.where the hell is that tread? First it was SFR and guru are great then other treads stay away. Go with this or that company and they said vitesses turbos are the best. But the ones I read are all from certain individuals. Either against or for. Sorry I didn't read thru f-ing 1173 pages or 474 pages when i did the search.
6. And yes I did find out why they do it to meet there special track needs. Or to maximize power and so forth not weather its necessarly better or if seperate venders part will work together better or cost more(headaches and price) for all the additional tuning when you could go thru one company with the parts designed to work together if the headaches and prices are worth going the seperate vendor route. I'm not building a race car.

This is my first euro i'm not some old crusty *** man who couldn't afford this car as a kid and now he's living his dream and knows everything about it. Or else I would have went with a vette for the simple ease of it. Just wanted to try something new.

Loving regards,
Jpop

Last edited by jpop8807; 11-07-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:04 AM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

My apologies for being an D*@# I know you guys were trying to help. But trust me I sit on this forum and search the hell out of everything. Hell i even went thru the 170 something pages of peoples rides to get body/color ideas. I have all the major vendors bookmarked on firefox. Except the guru one. I've been reading alot on what european car did to thier 951. And was getting ideas of doing close to the same thing. Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

What have you done to the car, so far?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Please ignore Reno.

I suggest getting a leaks own test. Then you will really know the condition of the combustion chambers.

Quick Reply: Dilemma