Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Trying to figure out KLR

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
I know you've said this to me before but 30 psi on our engines is a lot. i don't understand how the head gasket didn't blow or any form of head lift.

LMAO I ran 30 psi for 2 days when my mechanic was sure my boost gauge was like the one in the instrument cluster showing 2bar when only building 1bar. Here is a clip after i found out i just carfully build boost up to 1.8bar 26.10684 PSI remeber this is a very old video and on PUMPGAS! The two days before was not the best for the car. The headgasket came off the car last weekend and my mechanic said it looked like new so i think the 944 turbo gasket is under rated at best. I also have to say that i have run to high boost pressures for the past summer with no other issues than EGT.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having a smoke and boosting at the same time, that's what i call skill. haha. I'm scared to boost up to 25 psi but i'll do it oneday
Old 11-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

And on icy roads :-D
Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Paulyy
Well Sid and Steven / 'eniac' have run consistently high boost on E85 for some time. When I hit 30lbs it was only pretty briefly when a vacuum hose had come loose from memory. Damn the car felt pretty fine I must say!

To your point Sid, I wonder about that. As you say, pressure is pressure. In most of our cars there are all sorts of components that can lead to average V.E. / flow etc. In addition what seems to be the Achilles heel is the headgasket. This being a symptom not a cause, but with pressure comes headlift, open deck cylinders and vibration which damages the seal. I assume you are implying that a proper tune without detonation is allowing us to raise the stakes and E85 is the Jungle Juice of Love?
Patrick, IMO (and I'm not any real expert other than my experience) E85 opens up a very wide latitude for tuning that regular gas cannot seem to match. VE being key in how much power can be made, but the detonation resistance and cooling properties of e85 also allows for more pressure even on a stock setup.

I think in a sustained track environment that window closes due to heat, etc.. but on a street car just having a good gasket along with orings run etc does very well.

I guess that coming from an alcohol background my opinion may be very much in reverse of those using gasoline. My example would be that I personally would never attempt to make any real horsepower on petrol. If it was the only choice of pump fuel I'd have a large tank for methanol. So to me, yes it is a blessing having e85 so readily available

Quick Reply: Trying to figure out KLR