Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Black 600 HP 944 Turbo in Excellence!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 06:38 PM
silicondigital
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a lot of people have said, if they arent adjusted just right they are probibly worse then not haveing them at all
Old 03-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Dead - 951
Advanced

Anybody notice that GIANT turbo in front of Woody's car?

:-)
Old 03-03-2003, 06:59 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Didn't the PCA grandfather all tube frames that were already built or something like that? or was that a different series?
Old 03-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

It is my understanding that the PCA had grandfathered the tube frame cars into the GT classes up until this year. For 2003, I think they are moving the tube frame cars into numbered GTP classes. So, there will be classes numbered GTP1, GTP2, GTP3, etc split by displacement like the GT cars are.

Regarding the Woody Weiss blue car, does anyone have a photo with the hood off?? I would like to see how they configured the engine bay. Further, I don't think Woody's car has been "banned" by the PCA. I think it has just been moved from the GT3 class to the GTP3 class.

Regarding the Norwood powered Bob Howard car, his looks OK for PCA GT3 because it appears to use an unmodified tub from shock tower to shock tower.

Jeff
Old 03-03-2003, 10:30 PM
951Racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I actually just came from a buddies house who purchased Woody's car from last year. John Milledge was there installing my buddies new engine (long story) and the subject of Woody's current car came up. Evidently he will be able to run in GT3 which surprised me. Not sure how since the firewall has been moved and there is very little left of the original car.

You will not find any pictures of that engine compartment since he does not allow any. In fact, if you go up to the car with a camera he will pull a tarp over the car! About as close to pictures that you will get are here: <a href="http://www.worldwide-motorsports.com/" target="_blank">Worldwide Motorsports</a> They Jim at Worldwide built the body, Milledge built the engine. Anyways, my buddies car is pretty similar except that the Turbo is on the drivers side. There are some rumors that turbos on the passenger side will be made illegal...

As far as the question about balance shafts go. I find it really simplifies the engine not having the shafts there. One less belt to deal with. Ok, the extra 5hp is nice too...
Old 03-04-2003, 12:27 AM
Tech575
Intermediate

oops
Old 03-04-2003, 12:18 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
John Milledge does not take out ballance shafts .. according to him there is a big secondary harmonics problem .... "they should absolutely not be taken out". 951racer ... prob goes to Ghomes ... he takes them out. Milledge has been building 4 banger race engines longer than any of these guys.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 944turbo:
<strong>John Milledge does not take out ballance shafts .. according to him there is a big secondary harmonics problem .... "they should absolutely not be taken out". 951racer ... prob goes to Ghomes ... he takes them out. Milledge has been building 4 banger race engines longer than any of these guys.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Does he modify the balance shafts after installing different rods, a worked crank, and different pistons?
Old 03-04-2003, 12:49 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Call him and ask .. he spent over 1 hr with me discussing this .... I do not know the answer to that question. He also said that he does not belive in a lightened crank .. only drill work for oiling. A 4 cylinder engine needs recipricating mass .. so he does not lighten cranks ... he even went as far as to say " that sometimes when a customer just has to have a shaved crank ... he cuts the crank and adds heavier metal ... so the overall weight of the crank is not lowered ... he then went on to say that this process is VERY expensive"
Old 03-04-2003, 01:06 PM
afx
Racer

woops
Old 03-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 944turbo:
<strong>Call him and ask .. he spent over 1 hr with me discussing this .... I do not know the answer to that question. He also said that he does not belive in a lightened crank .. only drill work for oiling. A 4 cylinder engine needs recipricating mass .. so he does not lighten cranks ... he even went as far as to say " that sometimes when a customer just has to have a shaved crank ... he cuts the crank and adds heavier metal ... so the overall weight of the crank is not lowered ... he then went on to say that this process is VERY expensive"</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I'd love to call him, but I really don't want to waste his time. I do appreciate the information though.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:26 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

I have a 2.8 with a lightened and knife edged crank, light flywheel and clutch. I did have to adjust the idle up more than stock. When I would push the clutch in coming up to a stop it would really dip down since there is not as much rotating mass. But the engine spools up so much faster under boost I could never go back. The engine works so much easier.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:49 PM
3 Turbos

Tech575,

Please email the information also.

stevef@remotesystems.com

TIA!
Old 03-05-2003, 04:55 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
" He also said that he does not belive in a lightened crank .. only drill work for oiling. A 4 cylinder engine needs recipricating mass .. so he does not lighten cranks"

The idea and ideal here is to have a crank, rod, piston assembly that's balanced on a per journal basis. The counterweights on the crank should perfectly even out that journal's rod & piston only. With a lightened crank, each journal is no longer in balance. While you can get away with it being balanced for a pair of journals, this introduces extra torsional stresses into the crank.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:12 PM
951Racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Everyone has opinions regarding cranks and balance shafts. Personally, I listened to everyone on the east coast and made my own decision as to what was best. I will say that in my conversation with John this week he said he made a balance shaft delete kit.

I can point to numerous examples of engines with lightened cranks and no balance shafts that are strong and reliable. Mine being one of them.

Quick Reply: Black 600 HP 944 Turbo in Excellence!