Silverbullet951 - Re Noise in Rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 07:08 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Post Silverbullet951 - Re Noise in Rear

I saw some of your posts on other topics. You said you have some noises from the rear that are quite loud when cold.

What kind of noise is it? Constant, grinding, clicking, happen when driving, increase with speed? Let us know.

I would assume that you might hear some gear noise if it is constant. Have you checked or changed the gear oil in the tranny? Could be low causing noise. Drain the rest and add 90W gear oil. I use Valvoline Tri-Synthetic 90WT gear lube. Keeps things good and quiet, and is realtively cheap.

If you still have noise, it could be a number of things such as bad bearings, chipped or broken gears, wheel bearings, and CV joints.
Old 03-04-2002, 07:53 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey perry, When the car is cold or when it's cold outside,it makes the noise. When I'm going slow, it's fine. When I start to accelerate, it starts. But when I slow down again, It goes away. It's a whining sound coming from the back of the car. Sounds like a bearing of some sort. It sounds similar to the sound the timing belt makes when it's installed too tight. After the car warms up, it doesnt do it anymore. It's a very loud whining noise. It's not a constant sound though. And It happens most of the time. But not all the time. Hope this helps. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:42 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Sounds like a bad bearing. Could either be wheel bearings, or one in the tranny. You should have a friend drive it around in the parking lot with you out of the car and see if you can tell where it is coming from.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:33 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's most likely a wheel bearing. Becasue it does it often but not all the time. If it was dealing with the tranny, then it would do it all the time. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Silverbullet951 - Re Noise in Rear