Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is the k26/8 the best compromise between lag and power for a 944 S for street/ DE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011 | 07:48 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Interesting charts...

TO4e 50 trim / 8 The 8 will be a turbonetics replica with a stage III wheel.
LR's super 48 is based on this turbo. Seems like a good option for the price!

I have completely forgotten to ask, but at what stage should I expect to have to go to bigger injectors?

Last edited by bebbetufs; 10-31-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2011 | 09:57 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Just get the injectors with the A tune if you haven't bought it already
Old 11-01-2011 | 03:18 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob
It was not from majestic. I bought the center cartridge from http://www.turbosdirect.com because I already had the turbonetics turbine and compressor housings. But I think you can get the same turbo from http://www.pauertuning.com/index.htm
Got my T04E50 from Pauertuning, great service, nice upgrade from a k26/8
Old 11-01-2011 | 03:34 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Just get the injectors with the A tune if you haven't bought it already
A tune is in the car.

I'm not very keen on buying new injectors. Just bought a set and sent them off to Witch hunter for flow matching. They are on the way as we speak. I should have thought about this before. I'm assuming most of the suggestions in here rely on bigger ones.
Old 11-01-2011 | 03:47 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hally
Got my T04E50 from Pauertuning, great service, nice upgrade from a k26/8
i wanted to buy one of those, He told me he stopped selling them because to get the housing made would require so many made and the demand isn't high enough.

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
A tune is in the car.

I'm not very keen on buying new injectors. Just bought a set and sent them off to Witch hunter for flow matching. They are on the way as we speak. I should have thought about this before. I'm assuming most of the suggestions in here rely on bigger ones.
I bought the ones from Rogue Tuning, biggest ones i could find and don't require ballast resistors. anything bigger then 80lb injectors that don't require resistors get expencive, i think Josh is looking out for some good ones.
Old 11-01-2011 | 04:57 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Crikey, your replies come in so quick, our time zones must match up somehow. Or perhaps you never sleep?

Anyways, I suddenly began factoring in the cost of fuel I'm starting to think I don't want to go as high in power as to demand larger injectors. Rather I think what I want to do is to get the absolute max out of what I have now. If a more modern or modified turbo can help me improve in either power or spool I'm all for it. If not I'll stick with the stock turbo.

As far as I can gather my options are.

- LR super turbos The last time I was in this predicament Dave Lindsey proposed to build me a Super turbo in 38 trim. What do you think? Will the 48 demand larger injectors?
- Get a stealth turbo from Vitesse matched to my needs. Seems like a very good option but demands a good core.
- k27/ big 6
- Get a modified k26/8 from Evergreen turbos

Time fore some serious thinking.
Old 11-01-2011 | 07:10 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Crikey...lol...

What fuel are you using and how much boost do you want to run? What are you going to use to control all this?
Old 11-01-2011 | 07:49 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

i always wanted to bolt on something like a Garrett GT2560R to feel the spool and deal with less than 300hp . But i always thought to big .
Old 11-01-2011 | 07:49 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Pump fuel, nothing else available. I get 98 octane european spec. I can sometimes get 99 oct.
My A tune can be switched to run a more conservative tune on 95 oct which is really the norm over here and much cheaper. I use that to save money on long drives, say to the track and back. There is talk that anything above 95 might be discontinued in the near future.

I'm definetley getting a second hand electronic boost controller.

I want more control and knowledge of what my car is doing so I'm building a LCD multigauge which monitors oil temp, boost, AFR, fuel pressure, amount of knocking, RPM and possibly speed. It will eventually do datalogging with GPS as well, but that will be in the distant future. I'm teaching myself programming as I go so the progress is slow.
Old 11-01-2011 | 08:10 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

But i always thought too big .
Would you do things differently if you were to do it again?
Old 11-01-2011 | 08:35 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Sometimes yes . Now i have a car that is noisy as hell, very stiff but then again allot of fun. I want to build another car in sweden and i want it to spool but not make much more power over stock. These cars are plenty fun with the stock setup i think sometimes its easy to forget that and mod the car to loose its charm "like mine". When i drive longer trips now i kind off miss the old 951 with the muffled airfilter and exhaust.
Old 11-01-2011 | 09:39 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

I think you nailed it.
My car is plenty fun, with only minimal mods.

I started down this path the last time my turbo blew, but after talking to several vendors I decided to keep it stock to maximize spool and keep everything simple and reliable. Now, with the new A tune, the lag is less pronounced so I thought it would be foolish not to re-consider the available options.
Old 11-01-2011 | 10:50 AM
67King
Race Car

This is not directed at any one in particular, but is perhaps an open question to myself and others.

I've been thinking about what's been covered in this thread and I don't quite understand how old turbo technology can be made to both spin up as fast or faster than stock and make more power up top at the same time. If you can simply swap the parts around then why did they not do this in the first place? After all the 944 turbo was criticized for lag back in it's day as well.

I guess I expected new technology to perhaps be able to achieve an expansion of working range. I thought perhaps Ball Bearings, exotic materials and CFD design could achieve the same spool but with a slightly better top end, but I did not expect the gains mentioned here. One can almost get the impression that any good "turbo guy" can make something which is way better than stock. Is it really that easy?
There are a few things that come into play. First off all, when you are in a production environment, you have MANY more constraints than you do on your own. If you have a car with great top end power, but suffers from low end problems/lag, it will be an utterly miserable driver for most people. And while Porsche certainly targets more performance oriented people than TOyota, there are still a large number of people who buy them for status symbols and/or looks. Case in point - last year's Boxtster Spider. Was originally going to be sold without A/C or radio, but the public raised cain, and i two years, I've not seen one of those or a Cayman R come through our tech inspection at DE's that didnt' have both.

Another constraint is production volumes. Turbos are mass produced, just like engines. Making a single turbo perform better isn't too dissimilar than porting and polishing a head. It takes time and man power, which is not practical in a production environment.

And yet another constraint is the AFM. That swing door has a HUGE impact on perofmance, both top end and spool. For example, when I did a MAF conversion on a prior car (Ford imported the Sierra as a "Merkur XR4Ti" and had a 2.3L turbo engine in it), I went from having sufficient fuel to supply the engine with injectors that could only support about 28#/min of airflow to making 33#/min of airflow. Did not get a reading before that, but going off of what was working, I picked up a HUGE amount of power by that alone. I also spooled about 1000 RPM more quickly. Many people here have something other than the factory AFM.

But yes, as for cost, the most cost effective thing you'll see is getting a good turbo guy to build you a good KKK based turbo.
Old 11-01-2011 | 10:53 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If I understand your requirements correctly, it sounds that you want a upgraded K26/6 for the faster spoolup vs. something with the #8 turbine. The Stealth #6 is probably what you are after, instead of the #8 you asked about?. Finding a #6 core is much easier than a #8.
Since you plan on keeping your stock injectors, I would not venture into the large Garrett turbos as your stock injectors cannot support the high flow of the large turbos.
Old 11-01-2011 | 11:17 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Crikey, your replies come in so quick, our time zones must match up somehow. Or perhaps you never sleep?

Anyways, I suddenly began factoring in the cost of fuel I'm starting to think I don't want to go as high in power as to demand larger injectors. Rather I think what I want to do is to get the absolute max out of what I have now. If a more modern or modified turbo can help me improve in either power or spool I'm all for it. If not I'll stick with the stock turbo.

As far as I can gather my options are.

- LR super turbos The last time I was in this predicament Dave Lindsey proposed to build me a Super turbo in 38 trim. What do you think? Will the 48 demand larger injectors?
- Get a stealth turbo from Vitesse matched to my needs. Seems like a very good option but demands a good core.
- k27/ big 6
- Get a modified k26/8 from Evergreen turbos

Time fore some serious thinking.

When i replied it was 5:30pm

Id go for something small with quick spool if your using stock injectors

Quick Reply: Is the k26/8 the best compromise between lag and power for a 944 S for street/ DE?