Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best Muffler for Turbo application....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 01:59 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Post Best Muffler for Turbo application....

Ok, well I am working on making a new SS exahust for 951's and was curious about two things:

1) what are the best mufflers for our cars? (yes I know I don't have one at the moment, but that will change).

2) would any on the board be interested in a 3 inch cat back for around 300 dollars? Muffler is undecided after we make the first one making more would not be an issue.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:43 PM
dbarclay
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SpinnTech, Borla XR-1 and Dynomax Race Magnum are the highest flowing mufflers and great for turbo cars. The SpinnTech, I believe, flowed the best on the bench and , in my opinion , provides the most awesome sound, but may be too loud for some. They are also not cheap. The Dynomax may be the best value.

[quote]Originally posted by ian:
<strong>Ok, well I am working on making a new SS exahust for 951's and was curious about two things:

1) what are the best mufflers for our cars? (yes I know I don't have one at the moment, but that will change).

2) would any on the board be interested in a 3 inch cat back for around 300 dollars? Muffler is undecided after we make the first one making more would not be an issue.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 05-23-2002, 03:44 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Ian

I would be interested as long as it looked and sounded right.

What did you decide about that wrecked car in Greenville?
Old 05-23-2002, 06:26 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just have 2 bullet pipes and the car is QUIET! I'm thinking about having one removed
Old 05-23-2002, 06:30 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"what are the best mufflers for our cars?"

What do you mean by "best"? Is it the lightest? Or the cheapest? The most free-flowing? The best looking? etc..

My "best" muffler solution when I built my exhaust is "no cat, no muffler". Just a straight 3" pipe from the turbo downpipe, all the way out the back (with several mandrel U-bend segments along the way).
Old 05-23-2002, 07:22 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Question

Danno, how loud is yours?

Also, you said a straight pipe all the way back. Do you not need the turbo return pipe,(not sure the name, but the seciton of dual pipes at the cat. If not, and it is not that loud, I will run it also. Or at least a straight pipe to a free flow muffler
Old 05-23-2002, 07:37 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Turbos tend to muffle pretty good by themselves, at least on the Audi R8's I've heard
Can't say I've had the experience on a 951. Ian, I would also like a reliable, not too expensive way to get a full 3" set up. Would probably go with an sfr or fabspeed test pipe then possibly experiment with a custom cat back.

Jason
Old 05-23-2002, 07:39 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I assume what he means is an open exaust. This is what I have, just straight piping from the turbo to the back of the car, with a couple of mendrel bends.

Here's a picture of my muffler, planning to put it on after the rebuild's complete:

I think this is a good compromise, as it's a 3 inch straight through design:

Ahmet
Old 05-23-2002, 08:04 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I gotta ask...Why is you muffler in your bathroom
Old 05-23-2002, 08:08 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Over1g

Do you think that you have enough hair stuff on your counter.

That is one honking muffler who makes it and where can you get it?
Old 05-23-2002, 08:28 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm moving right now and I'm not working on the car in my garage anymore (condo doesn't have a garage, but neither do I have to put up with my parents actually they're moving out of the country, it's kind of a sad time)so I haven't had a chanse to install it yet... I need my hair stuff and lotion, haven't you seen the <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=006847" target="_blank">engine rebuild</a> post?

The muffler is a magnaflow, I ordered it through a shop a buddy owns. You can get one at a local store, just go to <a href="http://www.magnaflow.com," target="_blank">www.magnaflow.com,</a> and find a dealer around you.
Ahmet
Old 05-24-2002, 02:42 AM
Danno
Race Director

"Danno, how loud is yours?"

It's not as loud as I'd like (I want to shatter rice-boys' windows when I open up the throttle ahead of them). But as long as you stay off full-throttle usage around residential areas, you neighbors won't hate you. FWIW, I got a ticket less than 30-hours after installing this exhaust.

"Do you not need the turbo return pipe, Do you not need the turbo return pipe,"

That's the wastegate dump pipe you're talking about. It's going simply dumping out right next to the exhaust pipe right now. I noticed a slight hiccup when the wastegate opens as the boost needle heads towards max-boost. Not sure what it is, but it wasn't there before I installed the exhaust. Perhaps there's some kind of a pressure disturbance.

The way the stock exhaust works is the wastegate dumps back into the pipe after the catalytic. So after that juncture, total exhaust volume and pressure should be the same regardless of whether that exhaust goes through the turbo, or gets routed around by the wastegate. But with it dumping outside of the exhaust pipe, I think there's a pressure let-off in the exhaust that's disturbing the turbo.

I'll simply make a 2" 90-degree bend to connect the wastegate dump to the exhaust pipe to see if this hiccup/stumble goes away...
Old 05-24-2002, 10:19 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danno,

that's weird. My car is Much louder under partial throttle and when I open it up, it quiets down. Or maybe I get deceived by the induction noise?
Old 05-24-2002, 01:10 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Danno,

Do you pass the db volume checks at Laguna with your set-up?
Old 05-24-2002, 02:09 PM
Danno
Race Director

Not likely I'll pass at Laguna, not even at idle in the paddock! A stock 951 barely squeaks by their 92db rule when the wastegate dumps. Most likely it will fail under their 90db rule.

I think we should organize a Harley ride around that neighborhood at 2am for fun! What kinds of people would actually buy property around a racetrack, then complain about the noise? what a bunch a eeeeediots!

Quick Reply: Best Muffler for Turbo application....