Best Muffler for Turbo application....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 02:29 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luke-
What is a bullet? Are you referring to a resonator? Are they one in the same?

I'm looking for something QUIET! I want my 951 to run like an M3 as quietly as a 540i, and no, I do not want it turn into a Bimmer (or a pumpkin after midnight for that matter)- I think they're a little loud stock- I'm speaking of STREET cars though...

Danno- you said most are above 90db?! Maagazine tests show somewhere in the high 70's under full throttle- or are you referring to at the muffler, *** opposed to interior, or what? What does a quiet car hit at these tracks, like a 540i, or something (if you, Danno, consider that to be a "quiet" car?). i know you have to have seen some others- just wondering....

Thanks,
Robby
Old 05-25-2002, 02:47 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$300 cat back?
You got one sale...
Throw in a test pipe eh?
Old 05-25-2002, 06:29 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Danno- you said most are above 90db?! Maagazine tests show somewhere in the high 70's under full throttle- or are you referring to at the muffler, *** opposed to interior, or what? "

I think the magazine tests interior sound at highway-cruising speeds at the driver's/passenger's ears.

The noise monitors at Laguna are usually at the outside of turn-4 with their instruments aimed down the straight towards turn-5. So when you open up the throttle coming out of the turn and hit the wastegate's opening, that's about as loud as your car can get, and yes, stock 951s have been busted for exceeding 90db.

The 92db limit allows almost twice the exhaust energy, so it's easier to pass that one.

DanD mentioned that this guy didn't pass even with his creative plumbing:
Old 05-25-2002, 10:23 AM
Richard Bennett
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have a straight through system, no cat etc and usea a Supertrapp tip. For the track I take off the end plate and discs (6 allen screws) and run straight through.

For the street I put the end plate and discs back on. The end plate and discs give as much muffling as you want (you can add or remove discs).Same goes for the track, you can put the discs back on if there are track noise restrictions.

Its a stainless tip, it looks OK in my opinion and it was a cheap efficient and flexible solution (I got the tip for $100 off Ebay). I tried a very expensive ($900) B&B previously, it sounded great but was a power robber, so I soon ditched that.
I also ran for some time with the straight through system even on the street. Its not bad (definitely quiter than a Harly) but a bit too loud for me, especially if you have sensitive neighbours. I also ended up having to drive very carefully to avoid unwanted attendtion, which took the fun out of driving the car on the street.

Quick Reply: Best Muffler for Turbo application....