Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

fluctuating idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 09:19 PM
NerfRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post fluctuating idle

ive noticed lately that when i start the car in the morning, the motor will stutter in idle, dropping to approximately 600 rpm for about 5 seconds before evening out around 1100 rpm. However, after warming and driving for a few minutes, it will idle in the high 1000's periodically. i was thinking a bad sensor? are there any other possibilities?
Old 05-22-2002, 04:17 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps a bad idle-stabilizer. Just unscrew the idle-bypass screw on top of the throttle-body a couple of turns. This will reduce the percentage of idle air provided by the stabilizer and will reduce the effect of a bad one.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:13 AM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nerfracing -

You can take the idle stabilizer out of the mix by bridging two connections on the test connector in the engine bay. I don't have the picture here at work, but I'm sure someone out there does. If you, once warmed up, bridge the connections and the idle smooths out, then chances are it's the idle stabilizer.

If it doesn't, then you might have a bad O2 sensor, or engine temp sensor, or TPS, or coolant temp sensor. Are you running rich at idle? (Black smoke out the tailpipe?)

Let us know about bridging the Idle Stabilizer out.

HTH!
Old 05-22-2002, 04:57 PM
NerfRacing
Instructor

well, the car had been sitting for a while before i bought it, and yes, black smoke was ejecting from the exhaust. but after a about week of driving, i havent seen any smoke.

Quick Reply: fluctuating idle