Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TonyG > 944V8 > Broken Pressure Plate - Broken Clutch Disk ... WOW

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
this might be one of the best 911 videos. still, i think an LS2 or 3 running a 968 Turbo S R&P and the slightly taller 5th and 6th gears would do very well keeping the car near peak hp on the bump and grind @ Sebring....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn_BLl47KQg
Originally Posted by vt951
I've met that guy (Norm) a few times at Mid-Ohio. His car is absolutely amazing... I think it's a 993 GT2 Evo. All carbon fiber body. 800-ish rwhp. Welded diff. He used to be a professional IMSA racer, I think. Porsche invites him to drive their new race cars on the ring.
Goldrich's car was originally built by Kelly Moss. The former CFO of Dayton Hudson Corp (now Target Corp) had KMR build a clone of their '94 SCCA World Challenge 911 Turbo 3.6's that won the mfr and drivers championship that year (Price Cobb and Mauro Baldi). A few years after having it built, he rebodied it w/ 993 GT2 Evo bodywork, but the original tub was a 964, 1990 I recall. He quit the car hobby several years ago, got into boats, moved to California - sold the car to Norm.

The car made a lot of power, and was always very fun to watch, shooting flames, etc. When watching the front straight as a spectator, its the only car I remember being able to visably see accelerate above 100mph.

When running "qualifying boost" the car would run 1:36-1:37s at its former home track (BIR in MN) 8-10 years ago. For comparison, the 2nd place driver in this year's IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge ran a best 1:40 in his 2011 997 Cup.

Some years ago at the Road America PCA Club Race, the previous owner was second in qualifying to a 962. On the start, he snuck in front of it and lead the 962 onto the front straight of the 2nd lap. I miss seeing that car....

Unfortunately, putting in a V8, dropping some weight, adding some bigger brakes and some shocks/springs will not make a 944 competitive w/ cars like this.

Last edited by Oddjob; 10-15-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

There are many competitive front engined race cars with similar performance as the rear engine Porsche platform, so that is not the issue when comparing the performance of the platforms. The rest of the stuff can be adressed of the 944 platform but it will end up costing more than a 997 Cup car so it might seem pointless. But fun though
Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My build when finished and shaken down should be cup car close. I will post some photos on my thread later. The build is still at my fabricator, he was held up by other issues. Eventually braking duties will be handled via Stoptech or GT3 calilpers in the front. Handling will equal a cup car now with Kodleln revised geometry rear carrier and the stiffened chassis, we are adding additional bracing now at the shock towers. The biggest issue in out braking a GT3 cup is the combination of brakes, weight and tires. If you want to brake like a cup you need to duplicate that, it can be done. The problem, as I learned from Dwayne at Kokeln is that if you add the braking power and use a high grip slick you will begin flexing the spindle. The fix for that is to install a 996 front suspension.

It all depends on how far you want to go and how much you have to spend. As you may already be aware, mine is not a budget build.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:33 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
My build when finished and shaken down should be cup car close. I will post some photos on my thread later. The build is still at my fabricator, he was held up by other issues. Eventually braking duties will be handled via Stoptech or GT3 calilpers in the front. Handling will equal a cup car now with Kodleln revised geometry rear carrier and the stiffened chassis, we are adding additional bracing now at the shock towers. The biggest issue in out braking a GT3 cup is the combination of brakes, weight and tires. If you want to brake like a cup you need to duplicate that, it can be done. The problem, as I learned from Dwayne at Kokeln is that if you add the braking power and use a high grip slick you will begin flexing the spindle. The fix for that is to install a 996 front suspension.

It all depends on how far you want to go and how much you have to spend. As you may already be aware, mine is not a budget build.
I know Dwayne pretty well. And he's built probably the two fasted 944's ever built. Those were two were on par with a cup car.

The only problem is that they cost 2x what a cup car costs (if not 3x).

That's about what you'll need to spend to beat a cup car not to mention that you better be able to drive on par with a fast pro level driver.

TonyG
Old 10-15-2011, 02:34 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eclou has already gone this route. He has a mid engine Boxter. All 911 suspension. Cup suspension in its place now. Mid engine platform. Not much money to start considering. This is truly the way to go for Update per dollar value. Personally, I kinda like being the underdog at times. Eclou still has the V8 944 though. I guess he has some emotional bond to it.. .

Last edited by 95ONE; 10-15-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm, I assume all the cup car suspension can be adapted to the Cayman as well? Come to think of it, has Porsche offered the Cayman with an LSD yet? If I remember correctly there was a big deal made about the lack of LSD to keep it slower than the 911 and many people were going to RUF and spending like $8k on a new transaxle.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 PM
acorad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You got PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:59 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Eclou has already gone this route. He has a mid engine Boxter. All 911 suspension. Cup suspension in its place now. Mid engine platform. Not much money to start considering. This is truly the way to go for Update per dollar value. Personally, I kinda like being the underdog at times. Eclou still has the V8 944 though. I guess he has some emotional bond to it.. .
The identical twin to my Boxster S race car just set the lap record for GTS3 at MotorSports Ranch in Houston. By 3 seconds/lap. It was faster than last year's GTS4 National Champion. It is about a 260rwhp Boxster lightened and on full Motons with Tarrett goodies. I will look like a fool out there in such a capable car

Quick Reply: TonyG > 944V8 > Broken Pressure Plate - Broken Clutch Disk ... WOW