Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Option for Replacing the Oil Cooler Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Option for Replacing the Oil Cooler Lines

Thought I would share an option if you need to replace your Oil Cooler Lines. I had to cut my lines while replacing the Oil filter Housing seals.

Turns out the fittings on the end of the lines can be reused and only new collars are needed. Took the lines to a local hydraulic hose and fitting shop, Royal Brass. They did the work while I waited (about 15 min), replacing the hose and swedging new collars as show below. Total cost $53.

Fittings are DEFINITELY reusable, only the collars need to be replaced as they are crimped on. If you look on the original lines you will notice the collar is a separate piece. The hydraulics shop cut them off with an angle grinder.

If you do reuse the fitting you must make it clear to the hydraulics shop the importance of length and fitting orientation are there is not a lot of margin for error. Mine fit great and are working fine.

Last edited by refresh951; 06-04-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:23 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those turned out great!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:32 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

and you didn't have to blow $200 on shiny red/blue fittings...
Old 10-11-2011, 01:47 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944

and you didn't have to blow $200 on shiny red/blue fittings...
they look good... but it gets way to expensive since you need adapters and what not.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:23 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
Thought I would share an option if you need to replace your Oil Cooler Lines. I had to cut my lines while replacing the Oil filter Housing seals.

Turns out the fittings on the end of the lines can be reused and only a new collars are needed. Took the lines to a local hydraulic hose and fitting shop, Royal Brass. The did the work while I waited (about 15 min), replacing the hose and swedging new collars as show below. Total cost $53.

Very cool
Great to know, as those lines I have, seem to have a few dents in them from rubbing, so great to know there are options
Old 10-13-2011, 07:41 PM
supes6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess YMMV.. wish I had seen this thread earlier. I just went to a local hydraulic shop the other day to have my short oil cooler line rebuilt. They said the fittings were special order and could not be reused because they were "crimped on there". Came to pick it up the next day and was charged $140 for the line, I'm assuming due to the high price on the fittings. Well the thing won't even fit, seems to be at least 1" too long. Going back tomorrow to raise some hell.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:33 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by supes6
I guess YMMV.. wish I had seen this thread earlier. I just went to a local hydraulic shop the other day to have my short oil cooler line rebuilt. They said the fittings were special order and could not be reused because they were "crimped on there". Came to pick it up the next day and was charged $140 for the line, I'm assuming due to the high price on the fittings. Well the thing won't even fit, seems to be at least 1" too long. Going back tomorrow to raise some hell.

Fittings are DEFINITELY reusable, only the collars need to be replaced as they are crimped on. If you look on the original lines you will notice the collar is a separate piece. The hydraulics shop cut them off with an angle grinder.

If you do reuse the fitting you must make it clear to the hydraulics shop the importance of length and fitting orientation are there is not a lot of margin for error. Mine fit great and are working fine.

Hope you get it worked out.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:57 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi, going through this with local hydraulic shops and the best I can come up with when reusing my fittings is that instead of crimping them back on, the shop says they will use a type of hose clamp, the colored ones that require a tool or pliers to take on & off. However, I really want to have these lines crimped on for security even though the hydraulics guy claims his clamps will be fine at the relatively low pressure a car oil line utilizes.

Anyway, my question is do you or anyone else know the exact sizing of the metric fittings used on these lines? Obviously the crimping collars come in many different sizes and getting the proper size is important. Do you know the exact collar used? Was it metric or is it ok to just use a SAE sized collar that is close to the original metric size?

Any help & knowledge appreciated as I need to have these lines rebuilt this week.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:08 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

That's BS...gotta be another shop near you, sounds like they're selling you on AN (ripoff).

Hose is made in nominal "in between sizes"...I don't know off hand what the stock 951 fittings are but I'd imagine a 5/8 or 3/4" hose of suitable temp/pressure/chemical rating would be fine.
They should have loose ferrules able to clamp...I've done this so many times over the years (4 different oil cooler setups, as well as rebuilding all my AC and fuel lines and salvaging original fittings), trust me..
Old 06-21-2018, 07:36 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
That's BS...gotta be another shop near you, sounds like they're selling you on AN (ripoff).

Hose is made in nominal "in between sizes"...I don't know off hand what the stock 951 fittings are but I'd imagine a 5/8 or 3/4" hose of suitable temp/pressure/chemical rating would be fine.
They should have loose ferrules able to clamp...I've done this so many times over the years (4 different oil cooler setups, as well as rebuilding all my AC and fuel lines and salvaging original fittings), trust me..
Ha ha, welcome to the south....although I don't have much different luck when I'm in LA.

The first shop said $40 when I first walked in. Cut to 30 minutes later after finding all the new fittings (they said the old fittings could not reused, ever) and that $40 had climbed to $293! ok, next....Next shop said even more. Then as I'm leaving, he tells me about the hose clamp option and reusing my old fittings,,,down to $180. Then he says if I want to cut off the old fittings myself, he'd do it for $80! Hell, yeah, I'll cut them off for $100 savings! But I want it crimped on so might have to go back and see about him using his collar to fit my old fittings which would seem pretty simple, right?

Ah, suckers! Nothing is simple in 951 repair. Or in the south. And especially 951 repair while in the south!
Old 06-21-2018, 07:40 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

oh, and temp range for hosing is usually up to 300 degrees F which seems a bit too low for these lines and then it jumps to 400 degrees F which I assume to be fine. Is my reasoning sound on these temps?
Old 06-21-2018, 08:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Call Lart and have him make new lines for you on exchange for your old ones. Explain your situation...

if your oil made it to 300 degrees, you wouldn't be driving very long.

Quick Reply: Option for Replacing the Oil Cooler Lines