Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So I blew the H/G..

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Were the nuts all tight when you removed them? I'd check the deck and the head with a precision straight edge for sure. Odd that they are all uniformly pushed out like that. Wonder if it got hung up on the locating pins or if something got caught between the head and block. Did it leak oil or coolant externally? Did it ever overheat and/or have you checked your exhaust gas temps?

I thought at least 2 of them was giving up rather easy . Then first one down in front an the last upper one in back.

It did not leak any oil and I`m not sure if it leaked coolant externally when running , but I did not see any leaks when pressurizing system.
The coolant cap blew out so it was pretty much coolant everywhere , even small traces of coolant in the intake pipes.
I only have temp gauges at nr 2 and 4 at the moment , but they where normal until this happened. I did not look at the temp gauges when it happened and they cooled down very quickly.
Engine temp was normal and it`s never been overheating .
Oil temp was 100 deg Celsius (that would be around 210 deg F I think) .
Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it looks like either a bad head gasket, improper setup or a bad install?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you do the three step torque or did you use the torque plus angle (90 degrees) ?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Did you do the three step torque or did you use the torque plus angle (90 degrees) ?

I used the 3 step .. 20nm - + 90deg + 90deg

what is the torque when doing the other way ?

Anyway , it`s back togheter and I fired it up yesterday . A bit rough running and blowing out some coolant that was left in exhaust.
I only ran it for a short while to get new oil thorugh the system but I could not hear the Wg openeing at all ,and even at min boost setting it looks like pressure would go very high.

This is a dualport unit and it has hardly been used since installed.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blodstrupmoen
I used the 3 step .. 20nm - + 90deg + 90deg

what is the torque when doing the other way ?

Anyway , it`s back togheter and I fired it up yesterday . A bit rough running and blowing out some coolant that was left in exhaust.
I only ran it for a short while to get new oil thorugh the system but I could not hear the Wg openeing at all ,and even at min boost setting it looks like pressure would go very high.

This is a dualport unit and it has hardly been used since installed.
That is the correct factory-spec torque procedure for these cars. Others do what they do, but that's the way the factory specified it.
It can take maybe 20 minutes to burn off residual coolant from a head gasket failure. Surprisingly long, but normal. You won't develop boost pressure without driving under load, of course.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 PM
chichas01
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummer. Happened to me 2X. I had the head o-ringed and went with the wide fire ring head gasket after the second time. No problems since...well other than it being the replaced during an piston ring and block sleeve job a while back.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Hi
Luckily I had all the parts at hand so it did not take too long to get it up and running. However it seems like WG is stuck as boost would just keep on rising no matter how I try to adjust.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you running the controller inside the cab?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

All 4 at once – very impressive!
I would have to vote for a serious boost spike to do that type of damage.
Check the vacuum lines to the wastegate – you may have a split that it hard to see. Both lines should be able to hold pressure if tested while still attached to the wastegate (this will test your wastegate diaphragm also).

You should frame that head gasket and hang it on the garage wall!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:21 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Originally Posted by Chris White
All 4 at once – very impressive!
I would have to vote for a serious boost spike to do that type of damage.
Check the vacuum lines to the wastegate – you may have a split that it hard to see. Both lines should be able to hold pressure if tested while still attached to the wastegate (this will test your wastegate diaphragm also).

You should frame that head gasket and hang it on the garage wall!

Thank you very much

I have been testing the vacuum lines before by disconecting the turbo to IC pipe and connecting the leakdown tester here putting pressure to the system.

Before leaving to work I only got to do a small testdrive down the road with boost pressure rising very high no matter how I Adjusted the black **** (In the glove box). So I will do a complete vacuum line check next time I`m at home.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well FWIW, I recently put the mbc inside the car, and I'm still not sure why, but the boost would spike to 20+ psi and I was unable to turn it down no matter how much I turned the ****. Then I put it back under the hood and voila, boost was under control again.

I'm curious if there is some relation to how long the hoses that lead to the **** inside the cab are to how much control it has... That was the only thing I could think of, was that the (brand spanking new) hoses I ran into the car were much longer than the (several year old) ones under the hood. Vacuum was no different in either case however.

Quick Reply: So I blew the H/G..