Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Should GURU Chips and Reliaboost PEG Boost Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003 | 12:47 PM
sm
Drifting

Arrow Should GURU Chips and Reliaboost PEG Boost Gauge?

I have the GURU Chips, 3 Bar FPR, and Reliaboost installed on my car without the wastegate shims. The most boost I've seen so far in 3rd gear is about 1.5 bar on the Factory gauge and about 9 Psi on the VDO gauge. Are those two numbers consistent? Would 15 psi peg the Factory boost gauge?

Before I go dialing up the boost, I just want to make sure the two boost gauges are reading the same numbers, thus indicating that there isn't a leak (which could be catostrophic)where I spliced into the KLR line.
Thanks!
Old 06-02-2003 | 12:59 PM
JustinL
Drifting

My stock boost guage pegs at 2bar with the guru kit(-DME chip). On the autometer guage the boost jumps to 15 and stays there rock solid until the upper rpms in 3rd and 4th (too scared to try 5th). I'm *trying* to stay off the loud pedal until I get my chip replacement, as she's running rich right now.

I would suggest adjusting your reliaboost/ bypassing the CV.

Justin
Old 06-02-2003 | 01:16 PM
sm
Drifting

Thanks Justin. The CV is bypassed and I think the boost is a little low b/c I mistakingly loosened the Reliaboost during installation. I'll carefully raise the boost and see what happens. Even with ~10 psi, it is almost scary.
Old 06-02-2003 | 01:26 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

1.5 bar on the factory gauge is about 7.3 psi. Not too far out of line with the VDO gauge; I would assume that the VDO gauge is more accurate and use that.

You may not be getting full boost because of the weak stock wastegate spring. This is very similar to what Rich Sandor saw whem he installed his chips without the shims. His mixture went rich at high rpms due to the lower-than-expected boost level. The shims are intended to address that. I would not adjust the Reliaboost until I had the wastegate shimmed.
Old 06-02-2003 | 03:05 PM
Blueman33
Pro

My 951 has the original APE chip and will quickly stick the guage to 2 bar and keep it there.
Old 06-03-2003 | 03:17 PM
sm
Drifting

If the CV is bypassed, wouldn't a weak wastegate spring only affect boost after the Reliaboost opens? So maybe my Reliaboost was set too low (by me) afterall?
Old 06-03-2003 | 04:19 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by sm:
<strong>If the CV is bypassed, wouldn't a weak wastegate spring only affect boost after the Reliaboost opens? So maybe my Reliaboost was set too low (by me) afterall?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Keeping the CV inline can only reduce the amount of pressure being sent to the wastegate compared to bypassing the CV completely. Consequently I would expect that the Reliaboost setting needs to be changed to a higher opening pressure value when the CV is bypassed. Otherwise the boost will be low. That was my experience when I went from the CV inline to bypassed, and the difference in Reliaboost settings was quite large.
Old 06-03-2003 | 04:30 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Are you picking up your pressuer input from the same place? The banjo boltgoing into the IC will not be the same as the intake manifold. There will be some pressue drop. Remember, the factory gauge reads absolute pressure.

Alan C.
Old 06-03-2003 | 06:25 PM
sm
Drifting

I spliced the VDO gauge into the clear line that goes into the KLR box. Where does the stock gauge pick up the boost pressure from?

Alan, did you get my email regarding the injectors? Are they still for sale?
Old 06-03-2003 | 06:31 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by sm:
<strong>I spliced the VDO gauge into the clear line that goes into the KLR box. Where does the stock gauge pick up the boost pressure from?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">The KLR box drives the stock gauge and uses the same line.
Old 06-04-2003 | 07:55 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

where can i get those darn wastegate shimms,ive been looking around and asking the guys that work there and they don't have a clue.is there a certain place where i can get them,size,diameter,thickness.i need my wastegate shimmed also.thanx

Quick Reply: Should GURU Chips and Reliaboost PEG Boost Gauge?