Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Rebuild Need Advice + Problems PICS

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 05:43 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Guys for all the help.. I will give that guy a call Smokey. Looks like so far I might be going with a 2.8 liter from Anderson Motors. However any cheaper alternatives would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2002, 01:33 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Dan:

Another option is to have the bores Nicom plated. You can then reuse the factory pistons with the 964 rings. The stock 951 rings are not the best choice for a nikasil bore and the 964 rings are the same sizes. I am going this route right now. The only problem thus far has been getting some very minor parts from the Porsche dealer. I will have to find a new dealer to frequent.

You can find good used pistons for these cars very easily. I assume the other three are good? What is the tolerance group of the pistons? I know someone that has a set of group 1 if you need one. I have a set of group 2, but have not decided what to do with them yet. John Anderson probably has boxes of them as well since he is the "Bore It Out King"!

The nicom option makes economic sense if you were planning to replace the head and crank studs anyway. Otherwise, the cost difference shrinks. The block must be stripped of ALL ferrous metals, plugs, studs, and dowel pins. This is not a very frequently discussed method, but I am giving it a try and plan to post leak down and compression numbers as things progress. Supposedly, the nikasil ceramic composite bores will not scratch like the factory alusil tends to do. I have had three 951 engines apart recently and all were either scored or worn out of spec.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild Need Advice + Problems PICS