Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Not hitting overboost protection - and I think I should be... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011 | 12:00 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Default Not hitting overboost protection - and I think I should be... thoughts?

89 Turbo
Restored what I was told was the Stock DME and KLR chips, and Stock banjo bolt (see pic).

Chips looked like the ones in this thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ification.html
That are supposed to be the OEM ones, but 28 pin instead of 24, and a nicer sticker with just #s.

Problem is, I am hitting 13.5psi (have my warning set for 12, by the time I get off it, it's 13.5). I am not getting fuel cut or engine differences.

I was running Autothority Stage 2 chips and banjo bolt into the 15-16psi range, but I am going back to stock.

Vehicle has
Fabspeed exhaust
Stock Chips + Banjo bolt
Cam
Stock Wastegate [appears to be, it's at least a single port] * Edit * I will check it for a shim.

I am running stock chips, they match the pictures I have seen of stock chips (stickers/print).

Maybe the wastegate is shimmed? What should I be looking for? I want the car back down to stock performance levels (minus cam and exhaust). Just want it safe (not lean). Autothority was nice in that it ran rich, so wasn't worried about leaning out.

Bolt is not threaded like the Autothority one, but the holes on the sides are bigger... is this a stock bolt I wonder? * edit* - Oddjob says yes, this is the factory bolt.

Last edited by Ben951S; 10-06-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2011 | 03:43 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

check for lr boost enhancer, mbc or any other BC
Old 10-05-2011 | 03:50 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

It had an LR boost enhancer too!! It was double boosted. Removed that thing first. and it was hollow, allowing unlimited boost... I have the guts being sent in from Lindsey... I may try and lower boost with it...

But like I said, should be all stock (I will try and check for a shimmed waste-gate) and still

a) making 13+psi
b) not hitting fuel cut off...

=\

Is there a device that may not be functioning properly? I am trying to get the car back to stock form [minus cam and exhaust], and fully functional, before 'moving up' to anything.

Last edited by Ben951S; 10-05-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2011 | 05:09 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Cycling valve been drilled out? Are you sure the 13 psi gage reading is accurate? Have you tested it w/ another known good gage?

I found the overboost protection on the stock Turbo S chips is quite a bit higher than the overboost protection on the factory K26/6 chips. The non-S chips hit overboost within a psi of the stock boost settings, stock is around 10.5 psi peak, maybe 8 psi by redline. The only stock-chipped turbo S I have seen hit overboost protection was near 14+ psi when it cut the fuel.
Old 10-05-2011 | 05:15 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Is there a guide/pic on how to check the cycling valve?

I believe my gauge is accurate, as I replaced a pre-existing gauge, and this gauge measured the same results (inHG on load, peak boost, idle vacuum). Factory gauge seems to agree but I know we don't look at that guy. =)

[Also, the gauge holds peak boost, so it is easy to review afterwards]
Old 10-05-2011 | 06:17 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Wait, is this the same car that had the Autothority Stage II on it?

-If it had a jetted banjo bolt, I don't think it should have had an LBE on it also... though I'm very open to correction if I'm wrong.
Old 10-05-2011 | 06:29 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

You are correct. When I got the car, RS Barn identified it as 'double jetted' and we removed the LBE [which was missing parts internally].

At present, I have both removed, and installed what I thought was the factory banjo bolt. Does that pic look factory? Those lobes are actually BIGGER than the adjustable banjo bolt for the AuthThority Stage 2, but the AutoThority one has a threaded insert that was at full open... (IE, in the glove box).
Old 10-05-2011 | 07:16 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Thats a stock banjo. I have had several banjos that have somewhat different sized vent holes.
Old 10-05-2011 | 07:18 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Thanks Oddjob. So what's next, look for a shimmed waste-gate?

With stock chips and bolt, and 93octane, what should I set my boost warning too?

I have a wide fire headgasket and a cam, but I am de-tuning to prevent a meltdown, not trying to cause one!

I don't want to go with a Wideband, as being stock, I should not need one.

I am actually going to install the Lindsey Boost Enhancer, and try and dial DOWN my boost. That should be possible, right?
*edit* after reading how it works... no, LBE cannot lower boost output, it just delays the signal to the wastegate, allowing faster spool by not letting the wastegate creep open...

I will look for a shim in my wastegate. I wonder if I should just replace the wastegate anyway... But if I upgrade, I do not want to create more boost... but don't want to buy a stocker, then replace THAT when upgrading comes about.... but that won't be for some time.

Last edited by Ben951S; 10-06-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-06-2011 | 11:38 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

So what can I do to keep from making too much boost? If my wastegate is not shimmed, what's next?
Old 10-11-2011 | 11:31 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

So I am still hitting like 13+psi.

What can I do to lower that? Still haven't checked for shimmed wastegate, but is there anything I can do to lower the peak? It runs about 12psi in third and holds to about 10psi (5k+) in 3rd.
Old 10-12-2011 | 12:10 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

are all your lines connected properly?
Old 10-12-2011 | 12:17 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Should be. I wish there was something better than the Lindsey diagrams for where the vacuum lines should be going. The one Clark's has up is a little weird to follow too (though I could make a better effort there). I wish the Lindsey ones were labeled as to what certain devices were, and where things end, etc.

Quick Reply: Not hitting overboost protection - and I think I should be... thoughts?