Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

NEW A/C COMPRESSOR - OIL

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:04 AM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEW A/C COMPRESSOR - OIL

Well, on my move to California, the a/c belt shredded and ripped the a/c compressor off the car. The rear mounting tab on the compressor had broken off before, breaking the tensioner eyebolt. After replacing the tensioner (Thanks, Josh!) and the front mounting bolt (the only one holding the compressor now) the belt broke, breaking a new front mounting bolt off in the front mounting tab. I am replacing the compressor with a rebuilt one and upon removing the old compressor, found that there is no oil in it at all. Not one drop - yes I turned it to pump it out. Looking at the instructions that came with the compressor, I should remove the excess oil from the new compressor before installing. The old compressor was a rebuilt unit installed by the Douchebag at the Porsche only private shop in Vegas, who wouldn't come out of a dark alley alive if we both went in together, but I digress.

My question is how much oil should I leave in the new compressor? The system is still R-12, I had it evacuated by an A/C shop here in California. The A/C worked great until the bolts broke, and the system was still sealed. Any suggestions on how much oil I should leave in? I am going to take it back to the shop to test and recharge it. The picture of the cup is what oil was in the new compressor - the cup is about 12 oz. The other pic is of the old compressor carnage...don't mind the Dr. Suess rag.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: NEW A/C COMPRESSOR - OIL