Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

After many research of the tuner.... I decided....

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 11:23 PM
greenbeast
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post After many research of the tuner.... I decided....

Yes...
After many days checking, I decide to work with Huntley Racing.

I spoke with Derrek and he seems very good guy.

I'm thinking to send him my 944 turbo for full conversion for road race.

I need some opinion and input about this company.

Thanks!!
Old 10-24-2002, 12:11 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by greenbeast:
<strong>Yes...
After many days checking, I decide to work with Huntley Racing.
I spoke with Derrek and he seems very good guy.
I'm thinking to send him my 944 turbo for full conversion for road race.
I need some opinion and input about this company.
Thanks!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Many people will sit there and trash talk Huntley, I will tell you he knows 944 turbos and will do a great job. There are many others that will do the same, Ill let others chime in on that. And then there are other people to turn to when you need bolt ons, but for a complete package he can do it as can many others. Ive never had a bad experience with him, nor have any of my friends.
Hes answered alot of my questions knowing I had no $$$ to spend at the time, to me that says alot.

Also, try <a href="http://www.gururacing.net" target="_blank">www.gururacing.net</a> Great guys, good products, good prices. (I retract my former statement just because it really had no relevance to this thread..i apologize)
Old 10-24-2002, 12:54 AM
greenbeast
Intermediate

SamGrant951:

The thin is I checked he Guru website and they just have couple o bolt on stuff..

didn't see any stroker kit or something like that...

Let me know!!!!
Old 10-24-2002, 02:40 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

I've purchased my Stage 3 turbo and my clutch pressure plate from Huntley. Both products work as advertised. The turbo is making more power than he advertised .
Old 10-24-2002, 11:18 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SamGrant951:
[QB]

Many people will sit there and trash talk Huntley, I will tell you he knows 944 turbos and will do a great job. There are many others that will do the same, Ill let others chime in on that. And then there are other people to turn to when you need bolt ons, but for a complete package he can do it as can many others. Ive never had a bad experience with him, nor have any of my friends.
Hes answered alot of my questions knowing I had no $$$ to spend at the time, to me that says alot.

I need to quit drunk posting, also try <a href="http://www.lindseyracing.com," target="_blank">www.lindseyracing.com,</a> <a href="http://www.broadfootracing.com," target="_blank">www.broadfootracing.com,</a> <a href="http://www.area951.com" target="_blank">www.area951.com</a>, <a href="http://www.speedforceracing.com," target="_blank">www.speedforceracing.com,</a> and there are many others
Old 10-24-2002, 11:24 AM
Tabor
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by SamGrant951:
<strong>anyone that publically trashes their former employer on a Porsche forum for enthusiasts just to make a name for themselves recieves no golden award from me</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who said it was just to make a name for themselfs? Maybe it was the truth? There are MANY people who report bad expieriences with Huntley. Including, but not limited to, myself!
Old 10-24-2002, 01:22 PM
txhedg
Racer

Arrow

hey Green -

I would go back and do some research on the archives of this board to see the feedback people have with various "tuners". Most of them(including the guys you are considering) have been the topic of numerous rants and raves over the past several years.

As someone who had a bad experience with a race-prep shop that was very well known, I can tell you, do your own VERY DETAILED due dilligence on the shop you plan on entrusting to build your car. Its not only about the $$, as you can burn YEARS of your life if you get into building a car with someone who doesn't perform as you want.

You can find out more about Huntley by reading the archives, but IIRC much of the complaints about him were money based problems, not the quality of the products/work. Things like charging a credit card for a product 2 months before it ships, and taking 6 months to credit back a card after a product is returned.

I never had any work done by him, but early on with my 951, he was very helpfull over the phone without me buying anything from him. Maybe Huntley's money problems are past him, and he is back to providing good service now. I do remember that he had his shop up for sale a year or so ago, so maybe it was just money problems that created the issues.....again, do your homework, and talk to WHOEVER builds your car about what the time line is, how you plan to pay him as things progress, etc.

Regardless of who you take the car to, another thing to consider is how high up in importance your car will be for the shop you go to, as this will determine how quickly things are done when building the car, and how quickly problems are worked out after the car is finished. If the shop you go to has lots of GT or cup cars there where the owners are spending $50k - $100k a year on work, the "expensive to you" $20k track car conversion is going to be last in line during a time crunch when the guys with the big $$ want something done.

Finally, spend a LOT of time educating yourself on how you want the car built (don't mean to insult your knowledge, I just don't know your background). Even though you are not doing the work yourself, know exactly what is being done by the shop, and stay involved to make sure they don't get too far down the road on something you aren't happy with. When my motor re-install (among other things) was being done, I would try to stop by the shop at least once a week to see how it was progressing, and to prod them along to make sure they were keeping moving. Shipping a car off to a builder and hoping it comes back on time, on budget, in the form you want without any "supervision" from you is a risky (and unlikely to be successful) proposition.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:03 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<strong>I need some opinion and input about this company.

Thanks!!</strong><hr></blockquote>I haven't done business with the guy, I've only called his shop once or twice and it was years ago when I inquired about a high temp resonator to replace my cat.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:48 AM
greenbeast
Intermediate

I just can't beleive all comments that you saying about this company.

I just thought that was serious and honest with everybody.

I think the best idea is continue to research and find a really good one...

Thanks for all your comments!!
Old 10-25-2002, 04:06 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

You may want to consider a company that is away from the west or east coast of the US. You will mostly likely encounter lower labor rates away from the coasts. You may even want to consider sending it to somewhere in Canada.

That said, I don't have a particular shop to recommend.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:38 AM
951carter
Racer

Derrek Huntley races these cars and has tons of on hand experience with them. I am sure he can provide you with what you need.
If you deal with the general public long enough, you are sure to come across a few people that you cannot make happy. Dealing with them myself i realize that some people are just generally unhappy people and you cannot change that no matter what you do.
Derrek has rolled many race prepped cars out of his shop and has been doing it for a long time. I don't think he would still be around if he didn't do good work. Of course, everyone can make mistakes now and again.
The common problem I have heard and experienced with them is time considerations. Maybe you could set up something from the start with a realistic schedule for completion, possibly with a penalty for every week that it is late.
I am a contractor and i have had many contracts where i was penalized $500 per day for every day after the deadline. I know that would be extremely excessive in this instance as this is not a $400,000 job, but, something along those lines would be feasible.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:40 AM
txhedg
Racer

<strong>
I think the best idea is continue to research and find a really good one...
</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not certain exactly what price range you are thinking of staying within, but a few other places you could think about include:

Broadfoot (Jacksonville, FL)
Technodyne (Tempe, AZ)
Scott's Autohaus (Georgetown, TX)

Broadfoot and Technodyne are well known in the club racing circles here in the US, but Scotts Autohaus (near Austin, TX) not quite so well so. However, they have turned out many EXCELLENT club racing cars, and built one of the fastest F-class ("stock" PCA class) 944 turbos in this area. I can recommend them highly from personal experience.

Broadfoot builds
Old 10-25-2002, 08:56 PM
951carter
Racer

PorscheG96,

I was just reading this part of your signature:

I am not familiar with the others, but, what's the problem with SoCal driver? He has always seemed to be a good guy IMO?
Old 10-25-2002, 10:05 PM
greenbeast
Intermediate

I just finish talking with Mr. John Anderson.
I think that he's the guy to work my car and to deal with.

I didn't know that has a lots of tuner and shop specialize in the 944 cars.

I hope I'm choosing a good tuner...

What do you think??
Old 10-25-2002, 10:36 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

<strong>I just finish talking with Mr. John Anderson.
I think that he's the guy to work my car and to deal with.

I didn't know that has a lots of tuner and shop specialize in the 944 cars.

I hope I'm choosing a good tuner...

What do you think??</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wouldnt agree with you, but either way good luck!
Lets see some already completed race prepped 951s that hes done so far...

Quick Reply: After many research of the tuner.... I decided....