Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

fuel control with MAF/TechEdge WB

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 12:25 PM
RobNL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post fuel control with MAF/TechEdge WB

After buying me some goodies to improve the performance of my '86 951 I still have only one small problem, lack of good Air/Fuel control.

The engine sounds/feels well throughout the RPM range, but I'm not sure whether or not it runs on the lean or the rich side. I know that the best way to find out is to put the car on a dynojet, but the only option I have at the moment to manually adjust the AFR is the AFPR and the MBC.

One option is to ditch the Autothority Stage II chips and buy me some GURU chips, but after some thinking I came up with a different solution: a LR MAF upgrade kit with a TechEdge Wideband O2 sensor kit (1.5 or 2.0).

With this combination I should be able to use the output voltage of the MAF controller as input for the TechEdge unit. I can use my laptop to log the data from the TechEdge unit and compare the AFR, MAF and RPM signals. According to the readouts I can use the MAF tuner software to adjust the MAF to get a better AFR.

First of all I would like to know if my idea sounds nuts? If so, what other options are there?

Furthermore on the website of TechEdge I've read the following:
>> Simulated Narrowband signal with adjustable stoic set point either side of 14.7 AFR
<<

This means that I should be able to replace the NB with the WB sensor, without drilling and welding a new spot for the WB sensor. I have read some other posts on this matter, but I couldn't find a real answer whether or not this is a good idea. I would like to know if anyone has experience with the NB replaced by the WB?
Old 05-29-2003, 12:55 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buy better the piggy back controler for fast951. it is the best in the market for this price and works fine. you wouldn't be disapointed. it has much more than you want.

Konstantin
Old 05-29-2003, 02:38 PM
DrRon
Instructor

Rob

Interessante set-up. Hoe bevalt de Kokeln Club Turbo?

Zelf heb ik net een Guru MAP 1 kit op de racer. Check progress op <a href="http://www.944-racing.nl" target="_blank">http://www.944-racing.nl</a>

Groet

Ron
R.verheijen@wanadoo.nl
Old 05-29-2003, 02:58 PM
pikey7
Drifting

You won't be disappointed with the LR kit.

I would wait on techedge to finish the 2.0 version for use with the Bosch WB sensor as there seems to be a shortage of the NTK's. It sounds like it may be available in about a month..........
Old 05-29-2003, 04:58 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Or dyno it and just adjust with your AFPR
Old 05-30-2003, 02:44 AM
RobNL
Instructor

Konstantin: Do you mean an APEXi S-AFC or a GReddy e-Manage? But then I still need to go to a dynojet to use their wideband O2 sensor to tune the engine. I was hoping that with my idea I would have it all.

toddk911, if the AFPR is all I need, life would be very simple. The problem is that I can run both lean and rich, but in different RPM ranges. How do I solve this with a AFPR alone?

pikey7: I can get me one of these NTK L1H1 sensors, so it doesn't matter which version of the TechEdge WB kit I choose. The only thing I want to know about the kit is whether or not I can safely replace the stock NB with the WB sensor in combination with the TechEdge unit?

Quick Reply: fuel control with MAF/TechEdge WB