Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Mahle, Arias, Woessner or JE pistons best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
EU pollution standards pertain to emissions, not your piston of choice. I enjoy learning, therefore teach me why EU pollution standards have anything to do with correct piston choice for a 2.8 motor with factory Alusil 951 blocks?

My intent to the original OP, is to help him get proper pistons available from current, KNOWLEDGEABLE vendors. Andial, the best of breed 2.8 stroker motors, is out of business. Too many folks have failures from builders not understanding what works within the factory bores.

Thanks.
Alusil cylinders call for pistons with iron-based coatings, like the original Mahle pistons. Purportedly, the original process used to iron-coat Mahle pistons was deemed bad for the environiment, so the process is no longer used. That's most likely what ehall was referring to. It's much like in California, where they are quickly outlawing most traditional forms of car paint due to environmental concerns. The good news is that Mahle now has a similar coating called "Ferroprint" which is an iron/resin coating designed for Alusil bores -- and environmentally friendly.

While the original 2.8 Mahle stroker pistons are hard to find, it is possible to order Mahle pistons and spec them to order. Ski had a set made a while back, and I recently had a set made working through Heritage Motorcars. This way you can also move to a "slipper" skirt design instead of the older factory (heavy) full skirt.

I have owned a set of Arias pistons for the 951 and was not impressed with their quality. Also, the coating contained no iron and so I viewed it as a gamble for an alusil block. I put JE and similar pistons with non-iron dry lubricant coatings in the same camp. I know some people believe they work, but most are still experimental in an alusil motor (in my opinion) and raise the risk of galling and clearance conundrums. If you want to use those kinds of pistons, I'd follow George's lead and Nikasil coat the bores.

Also, unless you are running in a class with a size limit, I'm not sure there is much sense in building a 2.8 over a 3 liter these days. 104mm blocks are cheap, and if you don't want to put money into a 2.7 head, you can have a 2.5 head modified to fit the 104mm block.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Seeing as everyone pretty much says to "Talk to Chris White" I'll go ahead and post a link to a thread where he talks about the differences between Wossner and JE specifically, and where I pulled that photo from.

http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24467

Good info for piston choices, and Chris is usually more than happy to answer any questions people have for him.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:07 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George D
ehall,

My input within this realm is to provide advice without any conflict of interest. My aggressive tone, as you state, was not towards you. Whether you took it wrong is irrevelant.

I apologize for my candor, know it was not intented to you directly.

Trust me, if we had any issues, I'd never state it openly.

Kindest Regards,

George
Okay. I figured I must have just misundersttod. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:07 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock 968 piston on left and JE piston on right. If you can get the Mahle, that would be what I would do based on YEARS of proven reliability with our stroker motors using the stock bores. JE told me their tough skirt process is similar to what Mahle does, but I don't have any experience with these.
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2011, 05:37 PM
944CS
Drifting

Mahle Motorsport would be the best from an engineeering standpoint...you can get a 4032 or 2518 based piston from them (they don't call it that exactly because Mahle has a special refining process for it's Al), but you will pay.....over $200 per piston and 6 week lead time. You can spec any compression ratio, valve size, valve relief, pin placement. The only reason these are not more popular is the cost.

Personally if I were doing custom pistons, I would also do custom longer rods as the 2 valve head does not fill the cylinder as fast as say a 4 valve head, thus you want the piston to spend as much time at or near TDC as possible - a longer rod achieves this.

If using a bare Aluminum piston skirt then you must sleeve the block - use a flanged sleeve - this will give a tougher wall anyway which is desirable for high power applications. Ring life will be comparable to an Alusil bore if the machining is done by a real professional.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:56 PM
944 turbo cabrio
Advanced

Now I am online again and can see that I received lots of valuable information here.

To make my aims more clear I'll describe my plans:

I am building a stroker because I happened to stumble over a crank and spare block for almost no money and as this also seems for me to be the easiest (for sure almost no machining which I don't have easy access to :-( ).

I will install in a daily driver Cabrio that is also used for trackdays - I value response over high end output.
I will if possible raise compression to 8.5:1 in order to reduce lag further.
Other info: LR or Rogus MAF will be added with full 3" LR exhaust, 55" injectors and Turbo will be LR Super 53 that I also happened to find cheap from a stranded project. Rods are standard length rods from PPM in Australia - they are very light :-)

Bores are all standard with almost no wear.

My aim is in the area of genuine 350 - 375 reliable horsepower.

I have so far found LR the most informative place as regards pistons but as I am tight on budget I need to be sure to buy right first time as I espect to buy in the US but furthermore need to pay transport and customs when items arrive in Denmark.

So far it seems wossner and Mahle are the best options with Mahle probably not wanting to produce a special 8.5 ccompression to me for reasonable money. If I could find Mahles for 200$ then that would be an OK deal for me.
Woessner can make what I need for reasonable money - if Mahle can't be found then I will put my money in the woessner camp and hope for same good results that others have achieved :-)

Wish you all a nice evening - clock is now 0:00 hours in Denmark and I need some sleep :-)
Old 10-02-2011, 07:36 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, if your goal is 350 to 375 hp? I'm thinking a 2.8 is wayyyyyy, overkill? Pretty sure bolt on's will get that?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Couldn't you just order a set of Wossners in the configuration that you want and from somewhere closer to home?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 PM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

I am running J&E Pistons and I really like the lighter internals in my 2.8L. It revs up way faster than the stock 2.5L, I really love the torque it offers at the low RPM's
Old 10-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by schip43
Hmm, if your goal is 350 to 375 hp? I'm thinking a 2.8 is wayyyyyy, overkill? Pretty sure bolt on's will get that?
A 2.8 would allow him to reach his levels at lower boost, with overall less wear/tear on the engine. At least that would be my guess. Also he wouldn't be that bad off boost with the larger displacement.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Couldn't you just order a set of Wossners in the configuration that you want and from somewhere closer to home?
+1. Wossners should have a distributor closer to you, I would think.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:28 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm just wondering how well a 2.8 will handle higher compression. The 2.8's I've seen in the past were fairly touchy about boost and more compression sure wouldn't help that issue.
Again, I'm just wondering. I don't claim to know.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:03 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

@Duke :

Were did you buy your Wössner pistons here in sweden\scandinavia ? I am also going the stroker rute like "944 turbo cabrio" is a project that has been ongoing for 2 years but still yet to get any pistons. When you order pistons i see there are different cc "bowl" what does that meen ex 20cc and 25cc? compression ratio?

I'm just wondering how well a 2.8 will handle higher compression. The 2.8's I've seen in the past were fairly touchy about boost and more compression sure wouldn't help that issue.
I have been told that the stroker engines do not like very high rpms. I have seen from other cars that boost does not seem to be a problem with the right fuel and timing. But don't quote me on that i am no expert .

@944 turbo cabrio
What engine management will you use for your stroker engine ? A stroker require different timing so a normal 2,5l chip wont cut it.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:35 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Hmmm sounds like you should know...

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...potential.html

I still think for his stated power goals a stroker is overkill?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:44 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I wouldn't mess with the copression ratio. I am getting 355 hp / 375 ft lbs torque at the rear wheels on a hot day (100 f, we were pouring water on the intercooler between runs and it was steaming) with 15 psi boost. I have the limiter soft set at 6500 rpm and hard set at 7000 rpm. It is running pump gas. Most of the strokers have a minimum boost that they like to have to really out perform the other motors. This one is 15 psi, the last set up was 16 you will need to play with it to determine your best set up.

A aet of Mahle pistons are going to cost you in the range $1,000.

Quick Reply: Mahle, Arias, Woessner or JE pistons best?