Kricket Advice Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 06:54 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Kricket Advice Wanted

While the 951 is up on the stands for a couple of weeks, I'm going to go ahead and do the timing belt. Has anyone out there used the Kricket tool and what was your experience with it? Who carries it in the States?

The reason it's up on the stands, I'm having CarQuest rebuild the axles since I struck out major league trying to buy a cv joint rebuild kit. Everybody I checked with told me that the kit was obsolete or no longer listed. Each axle will be about $68 and have a lifetime guarantee. Downside is 2+ week turn around, hence accelerated timetable for doing other stuff. I've also run down a stopped up catalyic that will benefit from the broomstick method of unstopping and I'll test it extensively on my car.
Old 06-22-2001, 02:56 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kricket- Search in the archives either here or on pelican and you will find the link to distributors. Also, I remember someone saying Checker could order them. With your mechanical experience, you could probably do the belts by hand. I rented the tool to double check that what felt right was okay, and it was.

CVs- I had a similar search a while back, so I just decided to try PepBoys. They've been in for about 2 years of hard driving and I haven't had any problems. They too came with a lifetime warranty and cost me around $80/axle. I was pleased.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:27 PM
Matthew West
Instructor

Please not that the Krickett tool is incorrectly refferrenced in another article. Please make certain that you buy the correct tool as referenced in the below
[quote] You bought the wrong Kricket tool, just like I did. I had to return it back to Napa and get the Kricket 1 tool (KR1). I didn't find this out until a few days before actually requiring usage of it, but caught it in time to exchange it for the one with the correct tension range (30lbs to 100lbs?). You probably read the same post I did where the guy recommended the KR2 product instead of the correct KR1 tool. <hr></blockquote>
Old 09-10-2002, 01:36 PM
C5Driver951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't use the Kricket tool, but one very similar. I purchased mine from Markus Blasak at Blasak precision. He has great directions on his site, and is a Rennlist supporter... The balance shaft belt should be set at 28lbs, and the initial tension on the timing belt is 40lbs. Remember there are two specs on balance shaft belts. The 18mm belt is 3.5 or approx 35lbs on the Optibelt.
I am in the middle of the retension, and I think the Porsche tool would make this much easier as you pretty much have to remove the balance shaft belt to get the tension reading.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:36 PM
Bill_396
Instructor

I too purchased the tool from Blaszak Precision, <a href="http://www.geocities.com/blaszak_precision/" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/blaszak_precision/</a> although I thought it was a cricket. After a bit of study/trial and error (and removing tensioner roller and guide)I found it to be very sensitive and repeatable.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:50 PM
WillyC4S
Racer

Dave,

The Kricket tool is pretty good, but for our cars it's used in the lower range of it's capabilities (~30 to 45lbs). You have to be careful about that and make sure you get a repeatable reading. Took me a few trys before I got a reading I trusted.

In the end, I used the tool and then made a judgement call based on doing other timing belts as to whether it's tight enough or not. I felt that the balance belt was a bit on the looser side so I gave it more tension. Timing belt was about right from what the tool indicated and other belts I've done.

If the balance belt is loose, it could slap the timing belt and cause some problems, hence the newer water pumps have that chrome guardrail to aid in an area where the belts come the closest together.

Old 09-11-2002, 08:12 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote]Everybody I checked with told me that the kit was obsolete or no longer listed. Each axle will be about $68 and have a lifetime guarantee. <hr></blockquote>

What that kit should be contain???

Löbro CV joints are readily available for all 944 models.I just finished rebuild of '91 951 CV joints/axels i bought for my '88 951.All i have to purhased were new CV joint rubber boots.I used BMW 750 I boots, which were same as 951.
Next weekend iam going to replace axels.Since i have this extar pair of axels my car won't be up on the stands too long.

Olli
'88 951
Old 09-11-2002, 09:30 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question

Is the Kricket (KR1) tool sold by NAPA the same as the Blaszak Percision tool?
Old 09-11-2002, 02:19 PM
WillyC4S
Racer

Pauerman,

Most people won't have both tools to compare by, but from the pictures of the German-made version, they look identical to the KR1 I got from Napa.

~ $9-$10 @ Napa.

Quick Reply: Kricket Advice Wanted