Negative Camber?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Negative Camber?

Is there a point to ridiculous amount of negative camber? I'm starting to see alot of front wheel drive cars.. mainly Hondas with huge negative camber where only half the tyre gets worn out and the other half is pretty much brand new.
I don't understand it? is it a handling benefit? or just for looks?

Why do people use negative camber? apart from getting huge wheels and tires to fit in such a small space (Tony G for eg)

Old 09-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Increased camber will increase cornering capabilities to a point, it is possible to go too far and start wearing the inside of the tire out and actually decrease cornering. Like most everything on cars, it is a compromise. I personally don't think people need to run anything more than 1.5* camber on the street, possibly 2* depending on the car and any unique needs to tweak out other deficiencies in the car's suspension setup. Toe is equally important and is a much greater factor in the responsiveness of the car and contributes to tire wear more than camber. People running 3-5* (this was popular on VWs a long time ago, now it seems to be spreading to other makes like Hondas) are doing it just for looks, I doubt most of them know what affect changes in suspension geometry will have on their car and just following stupid advice passed along on an internet forum. Real race cars can run that much camber, but it is stupid as hell on the street. I believe most race cars will tweak camber based on tire temps. based on the outside, middle, and inside of the tire, and trying to achieve the most even temp. across the tire, this will indicate that the camber is optimally set.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Thanks for clearing it up,

i don't know how it looks "cool" when your rim+tyre dosnt fit behind the fender even with extreme amount of camber. I'm young and i know some of my mates like it but ehhhh.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:43 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Is there a point to ridiculous amount of negative camber? I'm starting to see alot of front wheel drive cars.. mainly Hondas with huge negative camber where only half the tyre gets worn out and the other half is pretty much brand new.
I don't understand it? is it a handling benefit? or just for looks?
If the tires are wearing unevenly, then they have something off in their setup!

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Why do people use negative camber? apart from getting huge wheels and tires to fit in such a small space (Tony G for eg)

With negative camber the tire flatens out to the road surface under load, putting more of the contact patch to the ground. I routinely scandivan flick my Tercel around on my favorite back road.

I have to get camber plates so I can dial in more camber but as it is my tires show even ware across the surface!

On a tight auto cross course, the Terk is my favorite weapon before my 951 hands down, not even close!

Quick Reply: Negative Camber?