Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

new motor cuts out @3000rpm (FIXED!!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 AM
apitts73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didnt get much from the shop....i would have to trailer it up to him to get any real help. i would in a heart beat, but they are so busy at this time of year...putting cars to bed for the winter, etc.

fixed the oil leak today.

unplugged the tps and it revved up past 3000rpm once...ok, its the tps!!
put the new one on...wouldnt rev past 3000 again...put the old one back on and the same. i was happy for a split second.

Before it detonated last time, it revved up fine and the AFRs were almost perfect....now with the same set up and parts, it wont rev past 3000(back fires and cuts out) and the AFRs are way too rich. at idle its around high 15s to 17s, bring the revs up to the 2000s and its around the 13s.
checked the plugs...wet with fuel...some carbon.
when i took it for a short ride down the street the day after it started, it was the same...very rich and any load up to the 3000rpm and the AFRs are in the 12s.

thanks for any help/ideas,

frustrated adam
Old 10-04-2011, 03:03 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend checking any wiring/splicing that has been done for any of your mods. I had a severe rich condition for a while and it turned out to be poor splices in the MAF harness. Also, as for the ground to the balance shaft housing, anywhere that is a good ground (electrically) should work fine. Use a DMM to test for resistance between the spot you've grounded the MAF and the negative terminal of the battery... there should be almost none. If there's more than almost none, then it's not a good ground.

Are you sure that you don't have any vacuum leaks? You're lean at idle and rich under load, so something isn't right.. What vacuum do you pull at warm idle?

Can you data log? What happens to the AFR's when it cuts out? Does it go very lean like the injectors are cut? Or does it go very rich, like it's flooding? Does it cut out at 3k RPM only under load, or will it do it in the driveway?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:54 PM
apitts73
Racer

will check the ground resistance and maf wiring volts in and out tomorrow.

today dave from LR helped me sort out a couple vac lines that i had wrong, but it was to do with the heater...so had no effect on this frustrating problem.

not sure what you mean "what vacuum do you pull at warm idle". is there a test for this?

when it cuts out it goes really lean...17s- off the AFR gauge. at idle its in the 16s-high 17s

it cuts out only when under load...in the garage or on the street.
by load i mean giving it gas(1/4 throttle)...haven't been able to get into boost yet.

pretty well checked all the vacuum hoses thoroughly....they are all new hoses too.

hope this helps in some way to get to the bottom of this.

adam
Old 10-04-2011, 11:12 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ugh, this is gonna be a PIA suggestion, but do you still have all the AFM stuff? Need I say more?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by schip43
Ugh, this is gonna be a PIA suggestion, but do you still have all the AFM stuff? Need I say more?
+1. Time to start converting back to stock temporarily. It seems like something is not doing its job correctly for the car to behave this badly.

EDIT: The word 'timing' also pops into my head too for some reason...
Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Adam, I replied to your emails last week. It sounds that you have the rev-limit or overboost set incorrectly (or you have a short in a wire). Last week i emailed you a list of things to check, but didn't hear back from you to know if you had the time to address the list of items. (I'm still away with limited internet access, maybe I missed it.).

Just emailed you a couple of things to try/check. But from your description, it sounds that the user limits are set incorrectly OR the wiring is not functional (1 wire to check as per my instructions).
Old 10-05-2011, 11:50 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fast951
Adam, I replied to your emails last week. It sounds that you have the rev-limit or overboost set incorrectly (or you have a short in a wire). Last week i emailed you a list of things to check, but didn't hear back from you to know if you had the time to address the list of items. (I'm still away with limited internet access, maybe I missed it.).

Just emailed you a couple of things to try/check. But from your description, it sounds that the user limits are set incorrectly OR the wiring is not functional (1 wire to check as per my instructions).
Oh,Oh! Me first ,me first! Rev limiter?!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Actually Adam can set overboost, overload, rev-limit or Air temp/Eng Temp. Any of the 4 values if set incorrectly will cause a shutdown. The shutdown kicks in over a certain RPM and a minimal load (outside of limp mode area, which was designed to allow the driver to run at low RPM and low LOAD which comes it handy when something like this happens).

A failed MAP sensor will generate a faulty signal causing the shutdown... Just emailed Adam a workaround to eliminate user errors (or faulty sensors).

Hopefully when I check back in a few days he'll have it resolved. He purchased the components used, he wasn't even aware of having a PB. So he has some readings to do.

Oh,Oh! Me first ,me first! Rev limiter?!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:16 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fast951
Actually Adam can set overboost, overload, rev-limit or Air temp/Eng Temp. Any of the 4 values if set incorrectly will cause a shutdown. The shutdown kicks in over a certain RPM and a minimal load (outside of limp mode area, which was designed to allow the driver to run at low RPM and low LOAD which comes in handy when something like this happens).

A failed MAP sensor will generate a faulty signal causing the shutdown... Just emailed Adam a workaround to eliminate user errors (or faulty sensors).

Hopefully when I check back in a few days he'll have it resolved. He purchased the components used, he wasn't even aware of having a PB. So he has some readings to do.
Oh snap! Well fast951, your a nice guy so you don't wanna say it but I can!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Let's be nice. He has plenty on his plate.

Oh snap! Well fast951, your a nice guy so you don't wanna say it but I can!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Oh I'm just playing, we've all been there! But i'll reach out if he takes offense, I'll retract. But it is kinda funny!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:44 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

I reached out, if he's the sensitive type I'll delete my post.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:20 PM
apitts73
Racer

im going to try unplugging the PB or change the chip to a setting that does not use the PB settings....will post later today.

also...talked to the shop that originally set my car up....he said bring it in next week! if i dont sort it out by next week, im pretty confident he will get me up and running.

john has been a big help with trying to get me up and running...i think i might have a better idea how to use the software. and still....he wont charge me anything.... and i think he is a good guy anyway. LOL

adam
Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yep! He is!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:34 PM
apitts73
Racer

got it!!!

PB has wrong settings....unplugged the PB and its all good now.john is going to help set up the PB when he has time.

not so frustrated....quite happy now.

thanks everyone for all the help and advice...again...this forum is a wealth of information and a must for any 951 owners!!

adam

Quick Reply: new motor cuts out @3000rpm (FIXED!!)