Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

new motor wont start...ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 AM
apitts73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new motor wont start...ideas?

So i finally got it back together....i was extremely meticulous about everything i did.
Primed the oil pump while car was in the garage and then pushed it outside to start it, in case of fire. When we got it outside, there was a big oil puddle on the garage floor! Frantically searching everywhere for the leak...turned out to be the oil feed for the turbo. The banjo bolt on the balance shaft cover next to the turbo. Tightened that and attempted the first start.
cranked it over a few times and got a couple backfires...one seemed to come out the air intake filter. Friend was watching everything in the engine bay while i turned it over from inside.
Checked for spark...got it. Fuel...got it. Oil pressure...got it. Switched the ref/speed sensors in case i got that mixed up(was positive it was right)...no start.
Noticed another puddle of oil under the car...will go back and change the washers for the banjo bolt. Not really worried about that....more worried about not starting!
Its a new motor...timing was already set from the engine builder. But my mechanic friend seems pretty sure it sounds like the timing is off...im almost positive its right...but will check tomorrow.

Thanks for any help/ideas,
Adam
Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the timing?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 AM
apitts73
Racer

i havent checked the timing myself yet...tomorrow. but im pretty sure mike at LR who built the motor got it right!
regardless, i will check it out tomorrow.

Adam
Old 09-23-2011, 08:22 AM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to start with the basics. Check for fuel and spark and go from there.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

He said he already got fuel, spark and oil pressure.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:14 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Did LR actually ever start the motor? Seems odd if they built it but didn't start it, no?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:05 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

wouldnt be the 1st time. not suprised
Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 AM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

was it a complete motor? I had LR build me a short block, I sent my head to them as well and they attached it for me. There wasnt a way for them to start it, but they will stand behind their work.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:33 AM
slap929
Pro

If your timing is off, makes me wonder how much... Hope no valves were bent. Oh and as far as the oil goes, from your description, makes me wonder if it is the turbo oil return line that is leaking. I wouldnt have guessed that much oil would be deposited in such a short amount of run time, but I could be wrong. Sorry to hear that you are having problems. Might want to post some video of it and defiantly go back to the basics(spark, fuel, and most importantly timing) before you proceed. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 PM
apitts73
Racer

thanks everyone,

i dont think the motor was started by LR....but they have been great with the customer service and warranty.....extremely good!
it was a long block...everything was on and done done when i got it....thats why i am pretty confident the timing is set correctly.

we did confirm that there is spark from the coil and at the spark plugs....there is fuel in the fuel rail for sure...but will pull the plugs to see if they are wet.
im not sure if the tach was bouncing or not...again, will check today. there is also good oil pressure on the gauge and also the oil pumping out the turbo feed line on the balance shaft cover next to the turbo. i will tighten that today.
if the tach isnt bouncing...then maybe the the reference sensor is not adjusted right, which i had to adjust when putting them back on the motor. i did the gluing of the washer on an old sensor and then set the position of the ref/speed sensor bracket.

again...thanks everyone for the suggestions.
will check a couple things today and get back to you guys with more info.

Adam
Old 09-23-2011, 12:58 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Not to sound basic but any chance you have two plug wires crossed? Mine actually started and barely ran but backfired through the intake like yours
Old 09-23-2011, 01:01 PM
slap929
Pro

Its to easy to not check the timing, even if you feel that they set it at lindsey. Defiantly check for the tach bounce, then go back to the sensors if it doesnt bounce(could have also switched them too). If you still have problems, I suggest you take some video of it.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Adam give me a call. I'm back from Virginia.

Jason
Old 09-23-2011, 11:37 PM
apitts73
Racer

got it!! plug wires were mixed up....mike from LR spent a half hour on the phone today with me, and figured it out...wow!
changed it and it started right away.
have an oil leak still from turbo oil feed on the block...i think i need new crush washers to fix that.
also there is a coolant leak somewhere at the back of the engine bay....will look for that tomorrow.
got the cam broken in and shut it down cause the oil and coolant were coming out quite a bit.

thanks everyone for the help and suggestions......the knowledge on this forum is invaluable!!

adam
Old 09-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a common leak on new rebuilds, new washers always seem to fix it.

Congrats on getting her started!

Quick Reply: new motor wont start...ideas?