Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

a/c system ejection valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 02:52 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post a/c system ejection valve

Anyone replace an ejection valve from and 86+ 951? I am getting no compression on a fully filled a/c system.. something is stuck in the valve or i've got obstruction somewhere per the porsche mechanic. he wasn't sure, but he said he thinks the job of replacing the valve is 10 or 11 hours. (he had never done it so he wasn't sure) but I called a place that does porsche work and he said he thinks the 85.5+ models are tons easier than the pre 85 cars.. and that it can be done without taking tons of stuff out of the engine compartment.

anyone done this before? I really don't look forward to paying 70 and hour for a 12 hour job to replace a $40 valve, and here in texas, summer comes on really fast!

I've got the factory manuals on order, not received yet so i can't check them.. any help would really be appreciated.

thanks
Old 02-23-2002, 03:04 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Ejection valve? Not sure I know what that is. Please describe the part and it's location.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:14 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

I am sorry.. i said ejection.. i meant the expansion valve..

<bang head on table.. doh!>
Old 02-23-2002, 03:16 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Per the vertex online.. they've got it..

qustion.. even though it says part no. "944....." it will work in a turbo???

EXPANSION VALVE, A/C (94457320100)
List Price 83.60
Your Price 44.00
Old 02-23-2002, 05:48 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

so does anyone have any experience with this? the expansion valve?
Old 02-23-2002, 09:20 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hope for your sake that it isn't the expansion valve, you have to remove the A/C Heater assembly to get to it and that means removing the entire dash. The expansion valve failures are normally related to a compressor failure, ie it plugs the valve. Have you had the compressor replaced?

There is a procedure I can go through that is detailed in the manual. It requires a set of A/C gauges. Before we go down that road, does the A/C clutch pull in when you turn on the A/C?

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/944ac.jpg" target="_blank">Picture</a>
Old 02-24-2002, 01:01 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

The PO replaced the compressor/dryer but didn't ever charge it. (in december). I went and got it charged and everything was fine. then later that day it was hot air and there was only 1 lb of r12 left in it. after more looking, it apparantly leaked out a loose shrader valve.

Charged it again, but it wouldn't get cold, and there was no pressure on the return side into the machine while running. the lines by the shrader valve was hot when it was supposed to be cold. The compressor is new though and I think what it is I didn't think to flush it before charging it. (i figured the PO did. he was a mercedes certified mechanic.) anyway, they are thinking that some debris from the prev compressor may have damaged the expansion valve or something. no other leaks have been found and it has a good vacuum.

Are you positive that on the 86 i can't get to the valve from the engine compartment?

anything else I might try first? besides flushing it out?
Old 02-24-2002, 12:27 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Please, see for yourself. Here are pics of both sides of the A/C Heater assembly. Get a really bright flashlight, lay on you back and twist yourself into a position where you can see/touch some of these components. I think you will find that the expansion valve is inside the car. I purchased a one with my rebuilt compressor (clutch was defective) but I never installed it after I saw how much work was involved.

Also, it kind of defeats the purpose of buying a new dryer if the system is exposed to air for an extended period. I hope that the A/C shop pumped down the system to remove water from the lines..if water freezes in the system, it makes a mess of everything.

I would flush the system and pull a good vacumm to dry out the system. The dryer should be replaced at some point. With the cost of the freon (R12) being so high, you try and do everthing before you charge the system. I got a A/C licence so I could buy R12 from the suppliers and save myself some bucks.

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Driver_side_ac.jpg" target="_blank">Picture</a>

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/PassengersideAC.jpg" target="_blank">Picture</a>

Quick Reply: a/c system ejection valve