Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

best way to seal the rear main seal help im leaking again

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 05:56 AM
tecart
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post best way to seal the rear main seal help im leaking again

well looks like for sure, as per the porsche shop that the rear main seal that i just did at another shop 1 mo. ago let go again, leak isnt a ton but bad enough to need a quick change again, anyhow what is the best way to put this part in and seal it so it dont leak again, i got alot of power and i wonder what the mechanics best long term leak free solution upon install would be? i was told by porsche that they just put oil on it and make sure its in all the way and that the spring isnt moved out of place but can someone give greater advice so my car with 300+ horses to the flywheel dont leak again in another month after a 2nd changing, thank god i got the 2 part crossover pipe to save me some bucks... i hate this leak right onto the crossover pipe and smells bad too, thanks asap
Old 02-18-2002, 05:57 AM
tecart
Pro

we just redid the oil pan gasket at porsche so again it is the rear main
Old 02-18-2002, 09:26 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Use a Porsche part for the replacement, make sure the the surface on the crank that the seal runs on is smooth..no ridge. Even a small bump/pit will damage the seal edge. Pre-lube the seal contact area. Rarely, the outer shell of the bearing will have leak, this can be caused by inproper removal. This will leak as soon as you start the engine and it doesn't sound like this happened.

I am surprised that the shop isn't standing by its work.

Quick Reply: best way to seal the rear main seal help im leaking again