Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Knife edge crank & light weight flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 04:39 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car revs SO much faster w/ a crank that's been lightened. sorry i wish knew the physics behind it, but i can at least provide you w/ a real-world answer. i chose to stick w/ a stock flywheel for now, but will be putting in a light one the next time i do a clutch (probably no time soon w/ the sachs sport/race disc and KEP p-plate). my only reasoning for the heavier flywheel was to prevent a car that already loves to stall / idles poorly from doing so even more... i already have to keep blipping it gently upon coasting down to a stop or it'll die...
Old 03-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"my car revs SO much faster w/ a crank that's been lightened. "

Is that in neutral or in gear pushing the car down the road? In neutral, if you've removed 25% of the weight from the only moving parts, like the crank, flywheel, rods & pistons, yes it will rev-up a lot quicker in neutral.

Hook up that lightened engine to a driveshaft, spinning the gears and pushing a 3000lb car down the road, a 20lb weight savings won't make as much of a difference. However, since the crank is the highest revving component, its inertia will be quite high and saving 20lbs from the crank & flywheel @ 6000rpm will have a more beneficial effect on acceleration than say... 20lbs off the wheels & tires, which will only be spinning at 1700rpm (1st gear).
Old 03-16-2004, 02:13 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

I would think that while idleing with no load, the lighter flywheel and crank would make it easier to maintain idle. It would seem that it would only try to stall while engaging the clutch with light throttle.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:15 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Anyone got and weight figures for the stock crank/stock fly, and Lightened crank/fly?

I spoke with Scott Gomes of Under Pressure Performance through email, and he said that they would lighten and balance the factory flywheel to the same weight as the aluminum one for $275. That is a similar price to some of the aftermarket aluminum flywheels I have seen. Which is a better bet?

Assuming money and weight are the same, which is the better decision?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

$275 for lightening....yikes. My local machine shop took my stock flywheel down to about 14lbs....i think that's 5 or so lbs lighter for $120 including balancing. That's quite a premium he's charging there.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:09 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Well... I think the Aluminum ones are weighing in at around 7 lbs. He said he could get it to the same weight as an aluminum one. Maybe that is the reason for the increased price. I am just guessing though.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:19 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, ally ones weigh 5-7lbs from what I have seen... how hard are they to install? Do they affect triggering at all?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:26 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Dannos point is well taken on the engine unloaded and engine loaded. Pure engineering dynamics , plain and simple. Acceleration theory applied to torque because of mass. Instead of worring about any performance gain ,which would be minimal due to the total reciprocating drive train mass,consider the increased bearing life due to the weight reduction. As to harmonics , there are formulas for that too , and they are quite complicated.Anyone who has design theory will attest to that. Just look up your valve spring design.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:47 PM
B951S
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Can we hear from more people with lightened flywheels as to drivability / stalling and benefits. I think this is the mod most people will do 'while they are in there' when doing clutches.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:32 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by B951S
Can we hear from more people with lightened flywheels as to drivability / stalling and benefits. I think this is the mod most people will do 'while they are in there' when doing clutches.
No problems with stalling or drivability with lightened stock flywheel, for me
Old 03-17-2004, 02:00 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aluminium flywheel, Aluminium pressure plate, lightened crank, zero issues.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by David Floyd
No problems with stalling or drivability with lightened stock flywheel, for me
Same for me as well.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:02 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to consider that the 951 has the heaviest crank and flywheel of any 4-banger out there. So by lightening these up, we're just falling in-line with the others out there. From what I've seen:

flywheel: 19 lbs --> 6lbs (-13)
crank: 59 lbs --> 43-49lbs (-10 to 16lbs)

There have been a couple cases of lightened cranks flying apart at the track, but there's so many variables that you can't say the lightening in itself was the problem. The balancing is very critical to longevity as well and if you can maintain dynamic balance on a per-journal basis with the crank, rods & pistons, you're most of the way there. So taking off 25-lbs from the flywheel & crank should be quite a significant weight savings off some very high inertia parts. Then another 2-lbs off the con-rods would be a major improvement since they are a major contributor to the shake that requires balance-shafts to even out. Longer rods would help make the engine smoother as well.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:59 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have these lightened parts. Human nature somewhat dictates that I want to justify the expense by exagerating the benefits. But I'm not doing that. It's basically what I said in my previous post in this thread. There is a more pleasant feel in low load conditions like matching revs on a downshift for example; that's about it. In racing conditions, every bit of an advantage counts, so it's more of a big deal in that situation.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:27 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Plus you have knocked 26lbs off the weight of your car! Thats a decent saving from a pure "general" weight saving plan. I am a pyscho about weight now! Never used to be, but am now. I take out everything that is not estential to my driving experience.

Quick Reply: Knife edge crank & light weight flywheel?