Options for 26/8 replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:03 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Options for 26/8 replacement

New, used or rebuilt? I know that some around here would take the occation to build a 400hp monster but I was pretty happy with my performance. Did kind of wish that there was a little less lag though. Does anyone make a straight 26/8 replacement that will work with the fuel mapping of my Vitesse chip but with quicker spool up?
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 PM
bimmen325
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

k27/6 works perfectly.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW! I have never seen a compressor wheel that messed up. You may want to check your intercooler for bits of metal...

Call Charlie at Evergreen and he might be able to salvage that by putting a slightly larger comp. wheel in, and he can lighten the turbine a little bit for faster spool. Talk with him, explore your options.

Beyond that a 50trim can be configured to spool as fast or faster than a 26/8 and make a nice bump in power.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:12 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bimmen325
k27/6 works perfectly.
6 instead of 8 on the hotside?

Originally Posted by Scott H
WOW! I have never seen a compressor wheel that messed up. You may want to check your intercooler for bits of metal...

Call Charlie at Evergreen and he might be able to salvage that by putting a slightly larger comp. wheel in, and he can lighten the turbine a little bit for faster spool. Talk with him, explore your options.

Beyond that a 50trim can be configured to spool as fast or faster than a 26/8 and make a nice bump in power.
Straight replacement? Would I have to make ANY changes in fuel/engine management with any of those options?

Good call on checking the intercooler. I found the remains of a bolt in the j-boot. Not sure how or when it got in there. The last time I had the j-boot off was 4 years ago when I replaced it.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:29 PM
carlege
Drifting

take a regular k26 and replace the impeller or Take the hotside off of the 26 -8 and put it on a k27..... The hotside is the hardest most desirable part
Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve, I have a couple of impellers laying in my garage that are in good shape that you can have. Check the AFM bolts to make sure one didn't come out (and more to follow)
Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 PM
carlege
Drifting

Hell, i would be less worried about your turbo and more about the metal shavings possibly sitting in your intercooler or intake.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
Straight replacement? Would I have to make ANY changes in fuel/engine management with any of those options?

Good call on checking the intercooler. I found the remains of a bolt in the j-boot. Not sure how or when it got in there. The last time I had the j-boot off was 4 years ago when I replaced it.
Straight replacement would need to be another K26 compressor wheel, the coldsides are the same on a /6 and /8 so a wheel from either will work. You might also need a new compressor cover as with that bolt bouncing around in there you may have worn it out of tolerance and it won't boost as well as one that is tighter.

If you don't want to change your tuning at all, then the above is your only option.

Also, to clean the IC completely, remove it from the car, dump some gasoline in the outlet side, shake it around, and pour it out the inlet side. Then back flush with hose water and let dry over night. The gasoline will clean up all the oily gunk that has built up in the IC for the past 20 years. With mine I noticed a difference in running the next day.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

+1 on swapping a good K26 coldside on there.

and scrap the intercooler, not worth trying to clean it out when you can get a good used one for under $100.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Steve, I have a couple of impellers laying in my garage that are in good shape that you can have. Check the AFM bolts to make sure one didn't come out (and more to follow)
Sounds like a plan Doc. I'll settle up with you at Renntreffen.

Originally Posted by carlege
Hell, i would be less worried about your turbo and more about the metal shavings possibly sitting in your intercooler or intake.
Originally Posted by Scott H
Also, to clean the IC completely, remove it from the car, dump some gasoline in the outlet side, shake it around, and pour it out the inlet side. Then back flush with hose water and let dry over night. The gasoline will clean up all the oily gunk that has built up in the IC for the past 20 years. With mine I noticed a difference in running the next day.
Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
+1 on swapping a good K26 coldside on there.

and scrap the intercooler, not worth trying to clean it out when you can get a good used one for under $100.
I'll definitely clean out the intercooler. I did drive the car over 300 miles after the turbo went out with no issues (initial thought was a failed open wastegate). The car is actually running great. Just no boost.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

replyed in the other forum thought id reply here to.

same thing happend to OZ951, the turbo blades thought it could eat a bolt... throught wrong and broke all the blades.

The walls of the cylinders got scored and had to go over size pistons.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:08 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
I'll definitely clean out the intercooler. I did drive the car over 300 miles after the turbo went out with no issues (initial thought was a failed open wastegate). The car is actually running great. Just no boost.
cleaning grease out of the IC is different than getting micro-particles of compressor wheel out of the turbulators. swishing gasoline or whatever around may not knock loose the aluminum shrapnel, but the next 15+psi that comes through there just might, and your engine will not be happy
Old 09-13-2011, 01:34 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Yup, I have seen what compressor particles can do to a cyl wall. I wouldn't drive the car anymore, although the damage to the wall may have already happen.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have an air compressor, use the blow gun when cleaning the IC, it might help.

Screw the turbo,I hope your cylinders are OK. Do you have a leakdown tester?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:11 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
cleaning grease out of the IC is different than getting micro-particles of compressor wheel out of the turbulators. swishing gasoline or whatever around may not knock loose the aluminum shrapnel, but the next 15+psi that comes through there just might, and your engine will not be happy
Originally Posted by lart951
Yup, I have seen what compressor particles can do to a cyl wall. I wouldn't drive the car anymore, although the damage to the wall may have already happen.
Originally Posted by FRporscheman
If you have an air compressor, use the blow gun when cleaning the IC, it might help.

Screw the turbo,I hope your cylinders are OK. Do you have a leakdown tester?
I'm starting to think that since I drove the car 300 miles to get home that the damage might have already been done.

I have access to a compression gauge and leakdown tester. Will probably do that before I pull the head.

I'll check on a new intercooler. But again, after driving 300 miles I wonder if all the smaller particles have already made their way through.

Quick Reply: Options for 26/8 replacement