Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How do you make a long distance purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 03:25 PM
lehtola
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How do you make a long distance purchase?

I'm curious how some of you have done this. O.k. so like I'm here and the owner is there. I get the car checked out, checks out fine. I make the offer. We go back and forth and come to a selling price. Next...I want the title, but I'm still here and he needs the money.

What is the best way to do this and not get burned? I get the title in my hands, get my new title/plates, fly up there and drive the car back.

How can I do this?
Old 04-15-2003, 04:33 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

I sent in part of the $ as a deposit, and then the rest in a few weeks, then I got the title fedex'd to me. In my case the person I was dealing with was known by other people, so it was a little safer, though.

If you're going to go out there to get it, I would take the $ with you and do the title/$ exchange when you're there. Send part of it as a deposit if the person wants you too.

I don't think there's any reason to do a title transfer/registration before you get the car in your hands. I would drive back with a signed-over title and then worry about the transfer when you get home.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:44 PM
lehtola
Instructor

What about the license plate?
Old 04-15-2003, 04:48 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

get an in-transit permit. here in NY it's like $20 for a 30-day one or something reasonable like that. talk to your local DMV about how to best handle this.

money wise, i'd suggest an escrow service if you don't trust the person - but frankly, you SHOULD trust who you're buying a car from or not buy the car, eh?
Old 04-15-2003, 05:25 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts
I had my car shipped over to me from Halifax. I sent the money to the shipping company and they gave the seller the money in exchange for keys and car. I already had a bill of sale faxed to me so I could sign it and send a copy back.

I hear ya on sending a stack of cash over a distance to someone you don't really know. I was nervous, but everything worked out well.

Justin
Old 04-15-2003, 06:05 PM
Andy
Instructor

I flew to Texas with a money order, he signed the title over to me and we notorized a bill of sale and I drove home with his plates. Took care of the title and new tags here. No big deal.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:19 PM
lehtola
Instructor

Andy, that's what I want to do but the guy is unsure. OH well...by the way...we are exactly 5000 rennlisters apart. I'm 5557 and you are 557.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:38 AM
lutz
Instructor

Yea what Andy said....

I flew to Alamaba to buy my 951 and drove it back with there tags. Took care of title transfer and my new tags once i got back home. Just make sure your covered (ins.)to drive back in case something happens.

If he will not let you use his tag call the DMV....there is some kind of temp paper drive back tag you can get.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:05 AM
gatorbait
Instructor

I had the same experience as Andy's, only in reverse and with a different marque.

I sold my M3 to an out-of-state buyer. I issued him a bill of sale, had it notarized, and let him drive back to PA with my plates on the car. Worked out just fine.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:34 PM
AC
Instructor

I drove home with the plates still on the car. Then when my plates came, I just mailed the PO's plates back.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:16 PM
RJP 951
Racer

I sent a deposit by FedEx, then followed on a plane with the rest of the funds. I test drove the car, we transfered title and dollars, and I flew back home. Round trip in less than 24 hours, and had the car shipped home.

Ron
Old 04-16-2003, 11:54 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

I'm in california and bought my car in Washington State. I had the car inspected before making any deals and when everything checked out, I made a money order, flew to Washington, theu seller picked me up at the airport. I inspected the car over again and verified the service records, test drove the car, drove to a repair shop just to use the lift so I can at least see the underside of the car. The seller signed over the title to me, received a bill of sale from the seller. I kept his plates and I didn't have a problem registering the car in California. I didn't even need the bill of sale notarised. i even kept the old plates and the seller never asked for them.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:51 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

I am a 19 year old and recently set up a purchase for my 951 in Miami, while I happen to be a resident of Pennsylvania. I obtained a loan, sent a deposit in the amount we agreed upon (he only asked for $500), and then asked that in return for a deposit, the owner run a pre-purchase inspection (the cost for this was covered by myself). From here I waited until I could drive down to Florida and pick it up, and at this time the owner and I made the trade - I got the car and title, he got my loan check.

It worked out amazing! I am the happiest owner in the world.

Check out pictures of my 951...

<a href="http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/c/w/cwt106/ist210_cwt106/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/c/w/cwt106/ist210_cwt106/index.html</a>
Old 04-19-2003, 10:09 PM
Brian S.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My transaction was similar to those above..... Once we negotiated a price, I sent a deposit, flew from Ohio to Minneapolis MN, he picked me up, I drove the car to his house, I gave him a certified bank check, he signed over the title, I drove home with his plates on the car & threw them away after I got my plates. Worked out great!!!
Old 04-19-2003, 10:24 PM
Renn951
Advanced

I'm in Chicago and the car was in New Hampshire. I negotiated a price contingent on the car being as represented and Fed-Ex'd a deposit ($500 - $150 of which the seller agreed to give to the local Porsche dealership as payment for the pre-purchase inspection). Once I talked to the service advisor at the P-shop, I contacted the seller and arranged to pick the car up. I drove out over a three-day weekend with a money order for the balance and a trailer behind my truck to tow it home, therefore avoiding any potential mechanical, insurance, or licensing issues.

Good luck with your purchase.

Quick Reply: How do you make a long distance purchase?