Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Accusump plumbing

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 02:27 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Post Accusump plumbing

I am ready to plumb my accusump into my 951, I would like to plumb it into a Canton Mecca Filter since that would be the easiest way to go but I have heard that the valves in the CM filters can fail. For that reason I would like to plum it in another way so :

Has anyone used one of those adapter plates that fit between the filter and the mount ?

Has anyone plumbed it into the front mounted oil cooler, and if so where exactly ?

I am wondering if it can be connected between the oil cooler fitting (upper or lower ?) and the oil hose end ?

Another possibility is that it could be spliced into the oil cooler line with a T piece?

Any feedback on these alternatives would be great.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:28 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The oil cooler circuit is thermostatically controled inside of the housing - it is only open when up to temperature. I guess you would never be pulling +1G if the oil wasn't already hot, but something to think about. It sounds to me like the oil filter plate would be the best route.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:57 AM
86944turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not near my car, so I'm not able to tell you exactly how the Accusump is plumbed. The Accusump was installed when I had the 2.5L motor. Even though theoil pan was extensively baffled, under hard accel. in the first 3 gears, I saw the pressure flucutate. I helped quite a bit. When the motor was toren down, all bearings were perfect. With the 3.1L, the Accusump is used primarily as a pre-lube, prior to starting. Since mine is a street car, I opted for the electrically controlled valve as opposed to the manual one. I replaced it several times, but this one has lasted. The unit is in the spare tire well. Braided hoses feed the oil to the bottom of the motor near the front. If I remember correctly, it is plumbed in such a fashion that will allow the fastest response to any pressure fluctuations. I have been told that by the time the Accusump reacts, it's already too late. I disagee with that, in that the oil pressure does not fluctuate, as it did prior to installation.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:48 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Matt, Thats a good point about the oil cooler being out of the circuit when cold, if thats the case then the accusump would not be able to prelube the engine if it were plumbed in there.

86944Turbo - i agree that the accusump will help to minimise the number of momentary incidents of low oil pressure that I believe contribute to the bearing problem. I plan on mounting mine in the area where the back seat was located or I may attach it to the roll cage. Did you pass the oil line through the side of the spare tire well ?

Quick Reply: Accusump plumbing