Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crazy? "Cardone" rebuilt brake calipers for $50/ea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 05:05 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Link to O'Reilly site

Do you suppose they're still going to say PORSCHE on the side of the caliper?
Old 09-11-2011, 06:16 PM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and fellow Rennlister owns a independent parts store and we tried this a few months back and also discovered you must send them in for rebuild only. He was trying to get turbo calipers for his NA.
Clifton
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

If you can live without the car for a few weeks, I'd try it. I ordered the rear rebuildt through Rock Auto, then after I placed the order, got an email from them saying cardone wasn't doing rears anymore (they soon updated the site).

I almost purchased some used calipers as guinea pigs, but lost interest. Its stupid expensive to DIY. The seals on the pistons were available locally, but the dust seal/boots weren't, and drove the price up big time IIRC.

Do it and let us know!

PS: I received an email from the cardone tech support saying they replace all rubber bits, which was encouraging, and test them with air and fluid before shipping.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hard to believe it's a rebuild service, not many people are going to be able to live w/o their car for them to get rebuilt and it also doesn't make sense that they would show a core charge on the website if it really is just a service.

I have an O'Reilly's locally, I shall have to investigate.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:00 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
Do you *really* want to skimp on your brakes? There is a huge difference in quality between oem Porsche and "offshore" replacement parts.
These aren't "new" calipers. They're rebuilt stock ones.

I stopped by the O'Reilly's on my way home Friday. As others have posted, they don't do replacements, just rebuilds. Not a problem for me, as I actually have a complete spare set of calipers sitting on my bench - I can send those off for a rebuild no sweat.

According to the guy at O'Reilly's, the rebuild is all new rubber (seals/scrapers, etc) and new pistons. I raised an eyebrow at the "new pistons" so he said he'd call his district manager on Monday (today) and confirm. If it does NOT include new pistons (I'm betting that's the case) I'm curious to know what happens if they find one (or more) of the pistons are pitted. Do they replace the piston, do they charge me additional? Etc. Hopefully he calls me back today.

Downside to going through O'Reilly's is that while the rebuild price is $46 as per their website, they want like $25 PER CALIPER for "freight." So I guess, overall, while still not a bad deal... this just took it from a sub-$200 project to a little over $300.

I'm going to try giving Rock Auto a call later today to see if they have the same "freight" charge or maybe I can send them straight to Cardone. I'm pretty confident I can get all 4 calipers shipped via USPS for $25.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

at least 2 951 calipers will fit in a USPS large flatrate box which is $14

you could probably get all 4 in one box actually
Old 09-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

At rock auto, you do the purchase online, then they send you the info for the shipment. RA isn't involved in handling the calipers. IIRC, cardone inspects and if pistons are bad the deal is off. Either way, you cant buy the rubber parts for $46. The 86 rubber parts are off the chart.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:11 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tedro951
At rock auto, you do the purchase online, then they send you the info for the shipment. RA isn't involved in handling the calipers. IIRC, cardone inspects and if pistons are bad the deal is off. Either way, you cant buy the rubber parts for $46. The 86 rubber parts are off the chart.
Interesting.

It looks like Rock Auto's "core charge" of $50, in cases of R&R service, is considered a "fee" and they still charge you for it. Which tells me that if Cardone tells me they won't rebuild them... I'll lose that fee.

Centric lists calipers on their website. Anybody buy calipers from them? Or are they most likely just a rebuild service as well?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

They refund the core charge as soon as they process the order. So it isn't really a core charge....just a problem with the website.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

I went through the same mental gymnastics you are. I called RA and they explained the whole thing. I emailed cardone and they did as well, although we didn't discuss rejection. I just wanted to know if they were going to replace all of the rubber parts, and they assured me they do. I'd really like to know where they're getting them....it sure isn't racers edge.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Here is Rock Auto's email:
Hello,

The A-1 Cardone Part # 19-1950 is only available through a Return and Rebuild service (see part description). This means that you will be required to remove your part and send it in to be rebuilt by the manufacturer. The cost of the rebuild is the cost of the part (no core charge) and the shipping charges. The core charge will be automatically removed prior to capturing your payment OR will be refunded depending on your payment method. You will receive an updated order confirmation once in a separate email.

(Alternate - CENTRIC Part # 14237017 = out of stock)

The rebuild time takes approximately 3-5 business days PLUS 5-10 business days for processing (approx. 2 weeks plus ship time). There is an 80% chance that Cardone will be able to rebuild your part. In the event that your part cannot be rebuilt, a refund will be issued for the cost of the parts minus a $5 testing fee. The shipping charges are non-refundable and the cost of shipping in your order covers the cost of the return trip back to you. We ask that you ship your part via UPS or FEDEX (not mail service) and retain a tracking number for your records. The manufacturer reserves the right to pull another core that is in better condition and send it out to you rather than rebuilding your original part.

If you are returning an ECM, BCM, or MAF sensor for rebuild, and Cardone tests the unit as good, the charge will be $65.00 for testing the part, along with the shipping charges. Please contact us and let us know if you would be interested in the rebuild so we can generate the paperwork for you (which will be emailed as an attachment), or if you'd prefer to cancel the item from your order. Please reply to this email or feel free to reach me directly at the number below should you have any questions.

Thanks,

Christopher Kopf
RockAuto, LLC.
1-866-762-5288 (ext 260)

Here is what cardone said:
All of our brake products have the old rubber seals discarded and replaced with NEW rubber seals. All component parts are tested separately and then as a complete unit. They are air and vacuum tested as well as hydraulically tested before they are boxed and shipped.

Raymond L. Fitzgerald, Jr.
Senior Technical Service Representative
ASE Certified
Email: rfitzgerald@cardone.com
Phone: 215 - 912 - 3959
FAX: 215 - 912 - 3869
Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Did anyone ever do this?
Old 11-12-2013, 02:50 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff N.
Did anyone ever do this?
+1?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

+2 I was VERY tempted, but wound up doing them myself. I've posted before about the scrapers, but if you have an 86, you will need to grab both ankles. Actually, you'll need to place both your hands flat on the floor, then stand on them with your legs straight.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:39 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I didn't do it either. I chickened out and paid double for my local Indy to rebuild them. Didn't want to risk them telling me they wouldn't rebuild and leave me out shipping and fees.

Quick Reply: Crazy? "Cardone" rebuilt brake calipers for $50/ea?