Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tunerpro + Ostrich Emulation Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011 | 05:52 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Default Tunerpro + Ostrich Emulation Help

Can someone explain what the difference is between emulation mode on and off is in Tunerpro with Ostrich.
The manual says in emulation mode you need to commit changes by pressing the "update" button. Haven't found this, only an "upload" button.
Is emulation mode solely for changing values while the engine is running? I understand it uses some form of ram buffer in this case. If I change a value in a table during emulation, do i press the "save" button within the table, do I use the "save bin" button or do I use the "upload" button. I don't follow what the difference is between these 3 functions and how they differ if emulation is on or off.
Old 09-09-2011 | 01:14 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Emulation makes changes on the fly. You don't need to "upload" (And I don't think you even need to hit the save button on the table).

The engine doesn't HAVE to be running, but emulation is kind of pointless if the engine isn't on, and you're not on the dyno or driving.

Emulation just takes out a few steps in the "save" process, so its faster to tune if you're sitting on a dyno, or having someone else drive while you tune from the passenger seat. The main problem I have with it, is its very easy to get ahead of yourself. You can make several quick changes...but if you decide you don't like one of them, you almost have to start all over again because its already committed them to the ostrich. If you don't emulate, and save every separate event, then its easier to undo things.... I am pretty new at tuning though.

The save button only sets the table. If you want to make a change, you have to save the table before you can upload it (emulation off)

Upload button is just that. It sends everything to the ostrich. You can make changes to several tables, and not effect anything with the ostrich, until you upload (emulation off)

Save bin keeps a record of the .bin file on your hard drive.
Old 09-11-2011 | 09:50 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. So in emulation mode, if you accidentally enter an incorrect figure it is used instantaneously, as soon as you change the numerical value? So when the online "Manual" says to use the "update" button what do you think it means?
Old 09-12-2011 | 12:30 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

I just played with it yesterday. When Emulation is on, the save button turns into the confirm button. You make a change in a table, press the confirm button, and it automatically uploads to the ostrich.

It only saves the one step of having to upload.
Old 09-12-2011 | 06:36 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Great - thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Tunerpro + Ostrich Emulation Help