Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hypereutectic Pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 03:55 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Hypereutectic Pistons?

Has anyone had any experience with these type of pistons?

They are a cast aluminum piston with a high silicon content, which is cast at a much higher temperature than normal, giving it more thermal stability. This means that the piston expands and contracts less in varying heat ranges. I am interested in these for my "Dream Engine" so that I could use much smaller skirt clearance.

Also, they are much stronger than conventional cast pistons, and have reduced wear. The increased silicon also acts as a sort of thermal barrier to keep heat in the combustion chamber, which would reduce the tendency of detonation.

Since these are still cast pistons, they would weigh substantially less than forged psitons.

I always assumed I would use forged pistons in my engine, but these seem like a viable option, maybe someone can give some insight.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:44 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

USE FORGED PISTONS!!!!

Hyper-Eutectic (and hypo-eutectic) alloys (including aluminum) simply means there are either above or below the Eutectic composition. The Eutectic composition of an alloy is simply the point(s) where the metal have low melting points. There is a little more than that, but details dont matter much.

Also as far as weight..the only reason that cast will weigh less is 1) design 2) porosity (which is a bad thing) 3) alloying. I doubt the metal would vary more than 2-3% in density amongst the various alloys used for pistons.

USE FORGED PISTONS...

Repeat that when you start thinking about cast ones.

-Dana
Old 05-28-2003, 06:50 PM
alkemyst
Advanced

In a NA and low compression application non-forged I feel are fine. The main thing the forged piston gives you in a boosted/high compression application is in the case of detonation the piston doesn't shatter...to me that's the biggest advantage.

The Hyper... pistons are used now as a cheaper alternative to forged pistons.

I posted a huge message on another board about the differences in cast, hyper, and forged pistons, however, it was picked apart as if it were an engineering prospectus .

Quick Reply: Hypereutectic Pistons?