Intake pipe experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 02:18 PM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intake pipe experiences?

I'm in the process of researching my next upgrade (new turbo, injectors, etc...) and was looking at a new intake pipe as well. Right now I'm using a K&N cone connected to the stock J-pipe (Guru Stage I kit), but since I'll be going to a turbo with a 3" inlet I thought I might as well replace the stock intake pipe as well.

I know Guru and SFR both have replacement intake pipes - are there any others? Anyone have any experiences/advice they'd be willing to share on replacement intake pipes?

Thx
Old 05-28-2003, 12:49 AM
silicondigital
User

I have the GURU pipe. Its nice, its thin walled steel and is priced OK. It kind of bounces the sound of the turbo off the steel walls and makes a real noticeable turbo sound. The SFR is said to insulate the air a little better but i dont know how much that will really help anything, but hey its pretty carbon fiber so you cant go wrong.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:47 AM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thx for the response - did you have any issues installing it? The Guru site say "some persuasion needed for installation" - did you have to squash the filter a little or anything like that?
Old 05-28-2003, 07:43 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

what does the pipe do? is just a pipe? the stock afm has a lil flap door in it does the pipe too have this?how is air metered? does guru sell just the pipe or do i have to get the whole set up?
i'm getting the guru chips this friday. would an ignition upgrade also be needed. i have stock righ now. are thye chips easy to do? does it come with a manual?do i have to fine tune it too? or does it come ready? just plug and play type?will replacing the ign wires and plugs make a difference?
sorry too many questions
tia
Old 05-28-2003, 08:58 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"what does the pipe do? is just a pipe? the stock afm has a lil flap door in it does the pipe too have this?how is air metered? does guru sell just the pipe or do i have to get the whole set up?"

The pipe only works if you have a way to send an accurate air-flow signal the DME, like with our MAP-upgrade. The pipe replaces the stock intake-snorkel, the airbox, the air-cleaner, the AFM and the small rubber J-pipe. This pipe alone frees up enough restrictions to raise the boost 1.5-2.0psi.

"i'm getting the guru chips this friday. would an ignition upgrade also be needed. i have stock righ now. are thye chips easy to do? does it come with a manual?do i have to fine tune it too? or does it come ready? just plug and play type?will replacing the ign wires and plugs make a difference?"

The chips are easy to replace. Check out the "AutoThority Stg.2" chips procedure on my <a href="http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx" target="_blank">951 RacerX website</a>

Also ignition uprades have not been shown to make any improvements on our cars; the stock system is quite adequate. Replacing ignition components does make a difference if you've got worn-out components like rotors, caps and cracked wire that are causing problem and reducing performance below stock levels. Replacing those items may restore stock performance, but won't give you much above it, if any.

Quick Reply: Intake pipe experiences?