Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Repairing turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 12:30 AM
Robwsup
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Repairing turbo

I have a real smoky turbocharger. I believe it is the stock K26-6 that came with the car. It makes great boost (I run about 14.5-15psi) but really drinks up the Mobil1. Has anyone removed and rebuilt their own turbo? How long to remove the turbo and how long to get it back in the car? What inspections can I perform with the turbo still in the car? I seem to recall something about shaft endplay or something. Thanks for any info!
Old 05-27-2003, 01:30 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try to find a rebuilt cartrige. It's the guts of the turbo, and cheaper than buying the whole thing. The housings don't wear out, unless yours is damaged. You can rebuild them, not worth the time, and they have to be balanced too. You would need alot of expensive equipment to balance it.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:48 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Lindsey racing has fast turn around on rebuilding your turbo, and the cost is not too bad.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:24 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by potent951turbo86:
<strong>Lindsey racing has fast turn around on rebuilding your turbo, and the cost is not too bad.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">plus you can have them do some mild improvements while the thing's apart such as jet-hot coatings, bullet-cone, etc - good for a little extra hp for not much extra $ (and helps you get more out of what you already have vs buying a new turbo).

btw - if you want a bigger turbo instead, i've been tossing around the idea of buying the LARGE lindsey/kokeln 'club' turbo TonyG is selling, and would be willing to sell my kokeln "street" turbo for a VERY reasonable price (750, paid approx 1300) - it only has 700 miles on it (not even, actually) and is in as-new condition... but with the rather agressive / upgraded nature of my car, well... i'm always wanting more... heck for an extra $200 i'll throw in a set of also almost-new siemens 73lb/hr injectors in case you REALLY want to crank the boost

email or PM me if you have any interest in the turbo, or if you need recommendations on the repairs...

Quick Reply: Repairing turbo