Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How do I get to the heater core hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 02:48 AM
avainio
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How do I get to the heater core hoses?

I've done all the vacuum lines (except the wastegate so far) and almost all the heater hoses. I can't reach the hoses that go to the heater core (by the firewall). Does anyone have any experience with this? I assume these were all factory hoses, some were pretty soft. The heater hoses don't feel soft, but it does make sense to change them. It seems like I need CV joints on my fingers, but there must be a way to get to them. I have a friend with a 1986 944 N/A, it looks easy to work on compared to my 1986 951. Thanks in advance.

Arne.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:45 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Arne,

I did this about a year and some ago, so this is from memory. Use some 1/4in drive extensions to loosen the hose clamps and see if you can wiggle the hoses off the heater core. If you can't (mine were stuck tight), just cut the hose in half and cut it again length-wise so you can tear it. When you tear it, use a pair of pliers for leverage to propagate the "tear" down to the heater core and peel the hose off.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:53 PM
avainio
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. It helps to know this has been done before. I seriously considered leaving them alone, but I don't like to leave things half done.

Arne.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:14 AM
tt9714
Racer

I replaced mine recently, but then again the head was also off the car which significantly improves clearance. That was another one of those "it's probably an original 17 year old part so I might as well replace it as preventive maintenance." How many times you you heard that before on this board?

Quick Reply: How do I get to the heater core hoses?