Passed CA Smog with Vitesse set up !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Clean? Just being "clean" is no where near good enough. It has to be plated, polished, sealed, clear-coated and waxed to go on Ed's car. And that's before he adjusts the fasteners for proper feng shui. Seriously, when he finally breaks down and posts a picture or two, you will be floored. The full nature of his pysychosis cannot be appreciated without some pictures, which is why I suspect he is so reluctant to post them. Of course, I say they deserve their own thread, because they WILL generate discussion....AMONGST PSYCHIATRISTS EVERYWHERE!

There. I fixed it for ya!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Congrats Ed, you treated the smog dude to the cleanest 951 on the planet! No polishing on the RMS replacement you deserve to be driving that beauty
David ya know I have to tell you...
He was a very very nice Vietnamese guy. When I opened the hood for him to inspect, he said" WOW", this looks very different, as he was squinting !! He said, "That doesn't look stock", pointing to the intake manifold. I told him indeed it was .. it was just polished as was the rest of the crap under that hood
BTW.... I told Tom there is no freakin way I am doing any more plating, when I pull that stuff off ..
I really am at the end of my rope .. and it was never a long rope to begin with

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Clean? Just being "clean" is no where near good enough. It has to be plated, polished, sealed, clear-coated and waxed to go on Ed's car. And that's before he adjusts the fasteners for proper feng shui. Seriously, when he finally breaks down and posts a picture or two, you will be floored. The full nature of his pysychosis cannot be appreciated without some pictures, which is why I suspect he is so reluctant to post them. Of course, I say they deserve their own thread, because they WILL generate discussion....
LOL
Jeezz Tom with that intro ... I am going to have a hard time living up to that
But I will try
Old 09-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
There. I fixed it for ya!
LOL !!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:17 AM
dlr944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought CA had a visual inspection and MAF would fail the inspection. Just interested.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dlr944
I thought CA had a visual inspection and MAF would fail the inspection. Just interested.
Hence the sunglasses ... I think he as far sighted
Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dlr944
It does and it will but they don't see alot of these cars and sometimes they get sloppy. Alot of new smog techs my not have even seen a AFM!

The sticker on the hood list all the required equipment, if the AFM is on there then it's required.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schip43
It does and it will but they don't see alot of these cars and sometimes they get sloppy. Alot of new smog techs my not have even seen a AFM!

The sticker on the hood list all the required equipment, if the AFM is on there then it's required.
In truth I think he was more focused on whether the car was going to pass the emissions test, than the visual part ... If you can't pass the smog test then your toast
Old 09-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens in CA when you can't pass smog? I'm assuming they grind your car into a fine paste and then feed it to trees, right?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:29 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
In truth I think he was more focused on whether the car was going to pass the emissions test, than the visual part ... If you can't pass the smog test then your toast
Nope, you fail the visual you don't get to the emissions test! Turbo Tercels run under ground out there.

They lift the hood and see a turbo on a car that never had one and your done! Unless it's a carb certified on that motor...Good luck with that!

I think he never saw a 951 maybe though it was a weird 944 N/A or something? On my 944 N/A the guy went to check the timing and I told him where the mark was and he said "I'm sure it's good!"

My friend always took the MAF off when he did smog (San Jose) but it does show that the selth kits would work out OK.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:34 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crackership
What happens in CA when you can't pass smog? I'm assuming they grind your car into a fine paste and then feed it to trees, right?
I don't know? I was a smog tech there so that's how I kept my modded 22r Toyota on the road, it was 2000ppm hc's at idle and that was with a cat! Yeah a bit much but I was young then!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crackership
LOL.... Great one
They don't call it the land of fruit and nuts for nothin'

Nope, you fail the visual you don't get to the emissions test! Turbo Tercels run under ground out there.

They lift the hood and see a turbo on a car that never had one and your done! Unless it's a carb certified on that motor...Good luck with that!

I think he never saw a 951 maybe though it was a weird 944 N/A or something? On my 944 N/A the guy went to check the timing and I told him where the mark was and he said "I'm sure it's good!"

My friend always took the MAF off when he did smog (San Jose) but it does show that the selth kits would work out OK.
You are correct but......
I really can't get into it, but what I was trying to say was the hurdle I had to deal with, was primary passing the smog test...

I don't know? I was a smog tech there so that's how I kept my modded 22r Toyota on the road, it was 2000ppm hc's at idle and that was with a cat! Yeah a bit much but I was young then!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:57 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

As a MAF sensor is functionally an Air Flow Meter, I would be interested to hear which points they put forward to refuse cars they deem illegal because the AFM doesn't look like what they expect it to look like.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Eddie, congratulations on getting the car running and back on the road.
I must admit, I miss-calculated how long it'll take you to get the 951 running. I was thinking 10-15, but you did it under 7 years.

Drop me a note once you turn up the boost to 15psi; hopefully someone can take a picture of the grin on your face after a spirited drive.
I hear the car looks awesome, post a few pictures.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
LOL.... Great one
They don't call it the land of fruit and nuts for nothin'

You are correct but......
I really can't get into it, but what I was trying to say was the hurdle I had to deal with, was primary passing the smog test...
Sorry guy I was'nt trying to argue with you. Just answering general question,

Cause it sounds like you caught a break! Just don't want anyone to have a cow if they go in with a MAF and fail for it.

I did smog in Mountain View in the early 90's. 951's are actually pretty easy to pass chipped or stanalone as long as they look stock and the basic's are there.

On Tercelonline, I'm the resident wipe blanket for guys that want to do the
4efte Turbo swap. Not a legal swap, engine not availble in US = instant fail!

Again Congraulations!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
As a MAF sensor is functionally an Air Flow Meter, I would be interested to hear which points they put forward to refuse cars they deem illegal because the AFM doesn't look like what they expect it to look like.
Thom
You would be wasting your time... The simple reason is THEY ARE FREAKIN" NUTS .. I should post the link to their rules and regulations ... It would confirm all one's thoughts as to why big government regulation ( well most of it! ) is pure bull****

Originally Posted by fast951
Hi Eddie, congratulations on getting the car running and back on the road.
I must admit, I miss-calculated how long it'll take you to get the 951 running. I was thinking 10-15, but you did it under 7 years.

Drop me a note once you turn up the boost to 15psi; hopefully someone can take a picture of the grin on your face after a spirited drive.
I hear the car looks awesome, post a few pictures.
Thanks John ... Can't argue there with the miss-calculation.
I started with a relatively recent sports car and ended with what will soon be a classic

Sorry guy I was'nt trying to argue with you. Just answering general question,

Cause it sounds like you caught a break! Just don't want anyone to have a cow if they go in with a MAF and fail for it.

I did smog in Mountain View in the early 90's. 951's are actually pretty easy to pass chipped or stanalone as long as they look stock and the basic's are there.

On Tercelonline, I'm the resident wipe blanket for guys that want to do the
4efte Turbo swap. Not a legal swap, engine not availble in US = instant fail!

Again Congraulations!
No. I didnt take it that way ..
You are completely correct, and your point is well taken ... as I don't want to mislead anyone as well, thinking they will pass the visual with a MAF in place.
Thanks Guys
Best regards
Ed

Quick Reply: Passed CA Smog with Vitesse set up !!