Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HELP! Oil IN the exhaust manifold!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 12:28 AM
John Hassell
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HELP! Oil IN the exhaust manifold!

I would appreciate ANY info on this problem. My '86 951 just turned 70k miles, & at a recent DE event the original (Non-bellows type) 1-4 exhaust header broke right at the flange to #4. I had to drive home about 40 miles away, and aside from car sounding like a farm tractor, every thing went fine. I bought a set of used, newer style (bellows type) headers on e-bay and installed them, along with new motor mounts. Had one hell of a time getting studs back in with headers in location, but not enough room for any other option. Here's the problem: after getting car all back together, & everything tightned up, I have an oil leak that seems to come from BETWEEN the shielding and the header tubes, almost like the car may be pumping oil out of combustion chamber and inner header tube is cracked and letting it drain out?? I REALLY looked at all locations on head, and don't see any drips or leaks, and none were present BEFORE header change. Oil drips out of lower sheilding, none on top portion, and down to crossover pipe, burns and STINKS, perhaps a tablespoon worth in 4 to 5 minutes of running.. I can see oil smoke, not exhaust, coming out of small gaps in shielding in the #1-4 tube below the bellows. I'm afraid of running it too long for fear of fire. My oil is clean, the water isn't milky, the car runs good... What gives? Do I have a cracked head? Blown headgasket? Anyone else have this happen to them? Thanks in advance for any reply.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:20 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the rear cap on the cam-housing. Spent 6-months fighting that leak on my car...

Quick Reply: HELP! Oil IN the exhaust manifold!