Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 05:38 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
is that a stock camshaft?
Yeah, the idle was just so low on the start it was loping nicely
You can hear the idle raised towards the end of the video and it got better.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:41 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob
Hey Alex, I'm glad to see you got everything up and running. Congrats on getting it going again!
Thanks! Great system so far! Can't wait to get it on the road.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Yeah, the idle was just so low on the start it was loping nicely
You can hear the idle raised towards the end of the video and it got better.
i was wondering why it sounded pretty cool

btw the engine bay looks nice!!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:04 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Well it's not the banjo bolt, it's (I hope) where the other end connects at the bottom of the engine mount. I really hope it's not the bottom turbo seal (I replaced it with the turbo). Will look more into it tomorrow maybe, it's been pretty toasty to be in the garage in coveralls.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:43 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's not the banjo bolt, it's (I hope) where the other end connects at the bottom of the engine mount. I really hope it's not the bottom turbo seal (I replaced it with the turbo). Will look more into it tomorrow maybe, it's been pretty toasty to be in the garage in coveralls.
It was a warm one today! At least for us... If it's not the upper o-ring, I suppose it could be the rubber line inside the braided SS. If so, Williams Oil Filter service in Tacoma did a great job of rebuilding mine. They've got really quick turnaround too.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:01 AM
FASTRNU
Pro

Great Alex, I gotta get mine home to finish and drive with you guys
Old 09-11-2011, 04:27 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crackership
It was a warm one today! At least for us... If it's not the upper o-ring, I suppose it could be the rubber line inside the braided SS. If so, Williams Oil Filter service in Tacoma did a great job of rebuilding mine. They've got really quick turnaround too.
Good to know! Gonna pull the whole thing off tomorrow and inspect it. Hope it's just an o-ring.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:28 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FASTRNU
Great Alex, I gotta get mine home to finish and drive with you guys
Let me know when you do, I'll definitely lend a hand getting it finished!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Let me know when you do, I'll definitely lend a hand getting it finished!
As will I..
Old 10-04-2011, 03:03 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Took a family photo this past weekend at the new place. Got them all washed off after they had a few inches of dust on them. Still have to finish unpacking and such before I can tear back into it and fix my oil leak. Once that's done I need to get the Audi in the garage and pull the trans.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:08 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Took a family photo this past weekend at the new place. Got them all washed off after they had a few inches of dust on them. Still have to finish unpacking and such before I can tear back into it and fix my oil leak. Once that's done I need to get the Audi in the garage and pull the trans.

Not to be a killjoy, but I'm pretty sure that the Washington State DOT requires you to have headlights....

Looks good, Alex!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:14 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crackership
Not to be a killjoy, but I'm pretty sure that the Washington State DOT requires you to have headlights....

Looks good, Alex!
Neither are registered yet Audi still needs emissions done and the 944 is still on Indiana plates (yay no emissions or front plate!) until next year when I can get the emissions waver. I've got to work on fabbing/modifying both car's headlights so they are both missing
Old 10-04-2011, 03:32 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Neither are registered yet Audi still needs emissions done and the 944 is still on Indiana plates (yay no emissions or front plate!) until next year when I can get the emissions waver. I've got to work on fabbing/modifying both car's headlights so they are both missing
You know... I'm probably jinxing myself by saying this, but I haven't run a front plate on most of my cars (except the 951, cause it had one when I bought it) for years and I've yet to have a problem...

If you read RCW 46.16.240, it states that:

"In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol."

I've been told by a few local cops that this basically means that, if there aren't holes in your bumper, or a bracket for the plate, you don't have to run one... Your choice, but I'm pretty sure that, if there's "nowhere to put one" you don't have to have one.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Time for a little update since it's been a while...

Fixed the oil leak, was the oil return o-ring (which was new), so I purchased a T3 gasket and it sealed it right up. Replaced the belts and rollers trying to solve a squeal, but it's still there....pretty sure I've traced it down to the waterpump. So I'll be removing everything and doing the belts for the 3rd time this month! I am also pretty sure my cam tower gasket is leaking too. I've degreased the exhaust manifolds but they still smoke when the car is running so I'm guessing new oil is getting to them somehow. Pretty sure my ISV is leaking under pressure too as I pressure tested to 15psi and can hear a leak under the intake mani. Pulled it off and tightened once already, but it's still there. I pull about 10-12mmHg vacuum on a cold start. So the intake mani is probably coming off once again to replace the ISV. Still need to relocate the AIT sensor to post-IC. Getting some smoke at idle too, but hopefully improved vacuum on the AOS will cure that. I have a catchcan installed but it's a sealed one and is routed to the intake pipe. Will have to experiment with that and take it out and see if it makes a difference. I sure hope it's not the turbo itself. Other than that, the car starts up decently and revs out pretty well with the tune it's got. Once I get the car in 100% condition I'll schedule a tuning session with Bob Boyer and see what it can do!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Oh, and I found out the car was indeed running on 3 cylinders in the video posted. Had a dead NGK spark plug straight out of the box, replaced it and it fired up and ran much smoother.

Quick Reply: Getting close! - IT'S ALIVE! (9/9/11)