Boost problem..lend a hand.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 10:44 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Post Boost problem..lend a hand.

MBC, Tial 35.
Banjo line---->Side Port w/ a Tee to MBC opposite of arrow.
Control Line on MBC (arrow)---->Top Port

Boosting to 10 no matter what i dial in. Clamped off signal going to side port before the tee (closer to wg). can hit whatever pressure I want..

So is this a wastegate issue or a problem elsewhere in the system?

CBV checks out fine, intercooler pipes and clamps all good. idle is good, vac is good.
ps=and before this I was running 15psi with a Electronic BC no problem...
Old 07-10-2003, 04:20 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's reversed. If you're following the printed Lindsey instructions, it won't work on a Tial. Here's what the lines should look like.

1. Banjo-Bolt hose --> vacuum T inlet
2. one side of T goes straight to side port on wastegate
3. other side of T goes to boost-controller, then outlet of controller (following arrow) goes to top-port on wastegate.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:44 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

ok thanks will do that when I get home, still doesnt explain why I lost boost with my electronic controller though....thats why I think something else is amiss, I couldnt dial in anything over 10 with the electronic, and the day before It would hit whatever I dialed in, so then I swapped in the manual and same thing..10 is the most I could ask for-until I clamped the line.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Sam you have a PM.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:50 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dannos right, you have the MBC connected backwards.I would also check the vacuum hoses for tears or cuts if swiching the lines on the MBC doesnt help.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"still doesnt explain why I lost boost with my electronic controller though....thats why I think something else is amiss, I couldnt dial in anything over 10 with the electronic, and the day before It would hit whatever I dialed in, so then I swapped in the manual and same thing..10 is the most I could ask for-until I clamped the line."

Well, at least we know the wastegate is working correctly by the clamp test. It's higher-pressure on the side-port that will open the wastegate.

What kind of electronic boost-controller are you using? If it's a Profec and you have it hooked up in place of the MBC in dual-port mode. Then the boost-solenoid goes to the top-port, you have to specify "external wastegate" in the settings.

If you have it hooked up in single-port mode, the solenoid should go to the side-port and boost-controler should be set to "internal wastegate". The top-port should be open to atm. pressure.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sam, call me when you get home. What you told me on the phone doesn't match what you wrote here.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:32 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Danno:
<strong>It's reversed. If you're following the printed Lindsey instructions, it won't work on a Tial. Here's what the lines should look like.

1. Banjo-Bolt hose --&gt; vacuum T inlet
2. one side of T goes straight to side port on wastegate
3. other side of T goes to boost-controller, then outlet of controller (following arrow) goes to top-port on wastegate.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">thats how mine is hooked up. banjo--&gt;&gt;T--&gt;&gt;side wg, other line off T to manual controller
Control line (arrow) -&gt;Top Port WG

thats what I wrote in the first post, just worded differently..

Quick Reply: Boost problem..lend a hand.