Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A/C compressor Mount Tab Broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:19 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C compressor Mount Tab Broken

I just found that when the front bolt mounting the a/c compressor fell out and the tensioner eyebolt broke on my way back from California a few weeks ago, that the rear mount tab on the compressor housing also broke. I had a rebuilt compressor put on it about 3 years ago right after I bought it and really don't want to invest in another one. I just put a new front a/c mount bolt and rebuilt tensioner (Thanks Josh B!!!) on it, and have no choice but to run it this way until I get it to California where I can fix it.

My question is has anyone fixed this problem with JB Weld or similar fix? How bad will it be to drive it with just the larger front bolt mounting the a/c? It seems to be pretty solid, but I'm sure it will have more force on it running with the compressor kicking on and off. I will have to take it somewhere to get the R-12 taken out so I can completely remove the compressor to fix it if possible. Thanks in advance for any and all comments or suggestions.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

First off, I wouldn't use the AC until it's fixed. I know, you're in the desert, but I wouldn't take the risk.

A similar thing happened to me, and I had just made a day trip to LA, it was hot, and I had the AC blasting. The rear bolt backed out and fell out, the front bolt snapped in half, the tensioner eye bolt snapped in half, and my AC compressor was dangling on its hoses. There was about 2mm of the front bolt still sticking out, and the rest of the head was gone. I had a 200 mile drive ahead of me and it was friday night.... FUUUUUU...

I jury rigged a large combo wrench as a new tensioner, and the little 2mm of front bolt held for my 200 mile drive, but I kept the AC off. So I think you'll be fine with only the front bolt for now as long as you keep its load light. I doubt JB weld can fix the rear tab. Maybe it can be welded?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:57 AM
murrayg
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, fixed mine with JB Weld! I figured I'd try it since my AC worked and I didn't want to discharge the system to change the compressor. I used a large hose clamp (like 8 in. or something) wrapped around the housing and over top of the broken lug with the JB weld. Been 4 years and 30K miles since and AC still works!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

drove to vegas and back in my friends 944 and discovered a few days later that the ac compressor had only the front bolt, and the alternator only had the top bolt holding them on...ac worked the whole drive

Quick Reply: A/C compressor Mount Tab Broken