Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Man - someone got a heck of a deal on this turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:04 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Jon Milledge/Chris White motor vented the crankcase while cruising on the LIE??
What are the odds on that happening??
Could be worse – it could have been on the Cross Bronx Expressway!

I haven’t seen the carnage but from the description of the break (just below the wrist pin) it sounds like rod fatigue. The engine had stock forged rods and 25,000 miles and almost 10 years since the build. I have seen the rate of stock rods failing going up in the last couple of years, after all the ‘youngest’ 944 rod is over 21 years old now.

I use to be ‘OK’ with reconditioned and magnafluxed rods in a track car….I may have to rethink that. Magnafluxing will catch a crack that has already started but it won’t help with fatigue just before the crack starts.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:22 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris White

I haven’t seen the carnage but from the description of the break (just below the wrist pin) it sounds like rod fatigue. The engine had stock forged rods and 25,000 miles and almost 10 years since the build. I have seen the rate of stock rods failing going up in the last couple of years, after all the ‘youngest’ 944 rod is over 21 years old now.

I use to be ‘OK’ with reconditioned and magnafluxed rods in a track car….I may have to rethink that. Magnafluxing will catch a crack that has already started but it won’t help with fatigue just before the crack starts.
It must drive you crazy when you read 'My CW engine blew up' without any mention of the fact that it was built ten years and 25K miles ago! I agree that the stock forged rods with 100K miles plus are probably candidates for stress failures. My 89 S engine has just 36K miles, but its been a dedicated race appliance for most of those miles so I might have to replace the rods next refresh.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So on the rebuild the stock con rods were re used?

I guess I need to add those to my rebuild list to be safe.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:39 PM
ringnalda
Rennlist Member

Default Engine lead

Hey Josh, If you think you will have a motor for $1750, what are the details on that engine? Can you give me a call or send me an email mrcbx@@att.net (remove one @)
Old 09-01-2011, 06:42 PM
ringnalda
Rennlist Member

Default Other rods

Originally Posted by Chris White

Hi Chris, I was wondering if the pistons used in this engine were the same weight as the originals? It sounds like fatigue to me too, and I'm glad it didn't let go at higher speed! Perhaps Carillo rods are the way to go?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by ringnalda
Hi Chris, I was wondering if the pistons used in this engine were the same weight as the originals? It sounds like fatigue to me too, and I'm glad it didn't let go at higher speed! Perhaps Carillo rods are the way to go?
The pistons are a lot lighter than the stock ones! Stock 951 pistons might as well be made out of lead (around 800g).
BTW – the shop in Long Island sent some pics and that jogged my memory a bit – the rods in the engine were the original 1989 turbo rods (some might call it a ‘Turbo S’ but since it was the only turbo offered that year the factory stopped calling it an ‘S’). Now I remember that the rods in that engine were the cast rods and at the time the option for aftermarket rods was not taken and the though was that if Porsche used these rods in a ‘Turbo S’ then they were good enough for this project.

I would go with the Carillo, Pauter or Wossner (if available) rods. Much lighter and 20+ years newer!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

It must drive you crazy when you read 'My CW engine blew up' without any mention of the fact that it was built ten years and 25K miles ago!
Maybe just a little!
It doesn’t take much to blow a stressed engine up – even a well built one. The more power you get the less the safety margin is – that’s just a fact of life. Any engine that sees a lot of track duty needs to be checked over often.

My 89 S engine has just 36K miles, but its been a dedicated race appliance for most of those miles so I might have to replace the rods next refresh.
See my previous post – there is a good chance you have cast rods in the stock 89 engine. While they may have originally been the same strength as the sintered rods they are more susceptible to fatigue and the area around the rod near the wrist pin is weaker.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 PM
ringnalda
Rennlist Member

The car had a donor engine installed, all the aftermarket goodies were transferred and I enjoyed this car at a few PCA events in 2012. It runs like a top. The motor internals are all stock, with only 70k miles so should be good for some time. I just found a 996tt so will probably sell the car to any interested parties...?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ringnalda
The car had a donor engine installed, all the aftermarket goodies were transferred and I enjoyed this car at a few PCA events in 2012. It runs like a top. The motor internals are all stock, with only 70k miles so should be good for some time. I just found a 996tt so will probably sell the car to any interested parties...?
An updated pics? Price?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to hear there was a happy ending!

Quick Reply: Man - someone got a heck of a deal on this turbo!