Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My last attempt to get help somewhere: what's wrong with my car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 03:18 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your banjo bolt definitely has a jet inside it. Unscrew it and stick it in your toolbox. If you ever sell your APE chips, you'll need to give that jet to the buyer.

The hose from the intake boot didn't actually go to the top of your wastegate. It came from the cycling valve. The cycling valve had three lines connected to it. One came from the intercooler pipe banjo bolt, one went from the cycling valve to the intake boot, and one went from the cycling valve to the stock wastegate. You need to plug that line going into your intake boot, or you'll have a vacuum leak into your intake. Either plug the line where it came out of the cycling valve (under the intake manifold - hard to reach), or where it enters the intake. I've got an MAF system, and I'm not sure what that line looks like on the stock intake. I do know that Lindsey Racing has a picture of it on their website though. Look under "Step 6" on their wastegate installation instructions.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:24 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok thanks, but I just now found out I AM SO LOST!@ I HHHAAATTTEEE not understanding things... Oh god, see i've got you telling me how to set it up right, where I have some stuff right, and other guy sayint some stuff is wrong... I was plugging the lines into the wrong 'banjo' bolt. I am so screwed up! My boost controller isn't in the car or anything because we couldn't figure out how to get it into the car, and NOTHING is going right, I do not understand the turbo things AT ALL, and I just do not know, I just wish I could plug 1 hose into the wastegate and NEVER touch these things again, I just want a normal turbo =( why I get one with mods =*(. *sigh i have no clue where the banjo bolt is that I'm supposed to use, and i've tried so hard to get help on both BBS while I was hooking the things up, but noone would answer until now when I have it all messed up. Thanks alot ian, but I've just gone retarded looking at these things... =( I've got the instructions for the wastegate installation w/ controller done exactly how they tell me to, except for that banjo part, and that just absolutely stumps me, ihave no idea about all this crap...
Old 02-04-2002, 03:36 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

Oh jesus, I jsut found out that the 17mm thing you unscrew is NOT the banjo bolt, it's that round thing that goes around it! AH! WHY Do people call that thing a bolt, it's not! Ok, so how do I find out if THAT thing is jetted?! *sigh* I just know i'm not ever going to have a working turbo that operates right.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:43 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Craig,

I sent you an email, maybe you read things a little different or maybe I didn't phrase them right not knowing your level of experience. Ian is right about the step #6 but go to
<a href="http://www.lindseyracing.com" target="_blank">www.lindseyracing.com</a>
Go to wastegates, go to instructions, then print each set. Take a deep breath, read and do slowly.
Also, look at the 944t Intake system. Those are pics of my car. You can see the two hard lines, along with the instructions that should be plugged off, it also shows you a picture of the one that should be plugged off on the intake boot. The instructions on the wastegate are VERY user friendly and have pictures with colored arrows. I have some time at my job, if the phone is not ringing, do you have a phone number or email it to me, I'll try to give you a call and help out; I just did my car about 4 months ago.

Just take your time..
Old 02-04-2002, 03:54 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Hopefully Bret can help you out. Listen, if you're not using the boost controller, leave the APE jet where it is. If you are planning to use the boost controller, then take it out. There's a black metal pipe going from your turbo outlet into your intercooler. There's only one bolt connected to it, so it's pretty easy to find. Undo the bolt. Yes, there's a round fitting slipped over the bolt (which is why it's called a banjo bolt). Forget about the round fitting. Turn the bolt upside down and look inside it. That thing in there is a jet, and it's part of the APE chip upgrade. Take it out if you run a boost controller!! Yes, the bolt also has some holes in the side of it. That's so the boost pressure from the intercooler pipe can be delivered into the round fitting, through the hose and into the cycling valve.

In case you don't know, the jet in your banjo bolt affects boost pressure. It decreases the amount of flow into your cycling valve. By doing this, the cycling valve will open and allow pressure to open your wastegate at a boost level higher than what Porsche intended.

This is just about as clear as I can make it, short of sending you schematics and photos, which I don't have. Hope this is helping.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:40 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

cna i show you pictures in e-mail please? I was told if I didn't use that controller I'd blow things up because it'd go at like 23LBs of boost or something...
Old 02-04-2002, 05:06 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

OK OK OK. Let's start back at section one.
I've plugged the ONE hose that needs plugged.
I have disconnected the electronic plug on the cylcing valve. I have a hose going from each port on the wastegate up into the engine compartment! I have the boost controller unit up in this room with the hoses setup the way I think they're supposed to be. There is a BOLT that goes into that intercooler pipe that has a round thing around it with a big nipple, that is upstairs to! Now what do I do? Here is a picture of what I have on the controller unit so far...
<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/porsche/the****.html" target="_blank">http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/porsche/the****.html</a>

The nipple is so big I don't know how to get the blue hose over it, and I still don't know what jetted is =(, why couldn't I just get a 1987 with NO MODIFICATIONS!!!!
Old 02-04-2002, 05:08 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

oh i see that thing in there, how do I take it out? I tried pretty hard w/ a flat head screw driver and it wouldn't budge...
Old 02-04-2002, 05:13 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

sure,,,but I will call because it is free,,we have a sat/nav hook up and pay so much(my company) a month,,heck I could call bloody ole England. That's why I said email me at
ski190@yahoo.com, I can call, send me your number man...
Old 02-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by Craig944[951]:
<strong>
The nipple is so big I don't know how to get the blue hose over it, and I still don't know what jetted is =(, why couldn't I just get a 1987 with NO MODIFICATIONS!!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

My 86's has a slightly larger nipple I think(from the pic). I had to put it in a vice and play with it. It DOES fit. They are REALLY TIGHT THOUGH. Mike or Dave told me that he can do them in (2 minutes)?!?

Trying not laugh at the wording.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:17 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

everyone who has tried to help me, thanks, I get to an EXTREME of frustrated when I don't understand how something works, I just can't handle it and it makes me go 100% stupid and I can't figure things out after that... i'm finally calming down. I'm ordering a book with explicit details on how this type of turbo system operates, COMPUTERS EVERYTHING.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:54 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

Hey guys, I redid the hooking up of the wastegate hoses and boost controller, and it actually works now, the boost is controlled by the **** now! hahah! I changed the plugs to cheap cheap AC Delco's probably didn't gap them right, but the hesitation of that 'backfiring' is almost unnoticeable. When I can feel it almost start come on, it just goes right through it up on into the higher RPM band. I can make my boost only go to - in between the first and second line after the 1, I think I'll leave it here for now, so I can learn the car more, and not risk such high power...
Old 02-05-2002, 02:31 AM
poorporscheturbo
Track Day

Wink

Regarding banjo/APE chips/"jet"

I've got a question regarding this jet thing.
what does the stock banjo-bolt look like if you
don't have the jet inside? Is the jet just a different insert with a smaller inlet?
Old 02-05-2002, 02:50 AM
Danno
Race Director

Yes, that's right. A stock banjo bolt is completley hollow on the inside. There's no extra parts or inserts.

The modified banjo bolts from companies such as Autothority are nothing more than the stock banjo bolt that has been tapped to accept a Weber DGV idle air correction jet. You can easily purchase these jets cheap from any carb shop.

The banjo bolt from Autothority has a .145 jet screwed into it. This jet with the stock setup will yield (on a regular turbo & wastegate) about 1 bar (14-15 psi boost).
Old 02-05-2002, 03:04 AM
poorporscheturbo
Track Day

Wink

Thanks Danno.

It all makes a little more sense now...
sort of.

The PO of my 87 told me the car was chipped, but when I had a look at the DME/KLR, nothing looked out of the ordinary.

But after reading this tread, I took a look at the banjo bolt. It's got some kind of jet (hex/allen key) and on the head of the bolt, there's "RSN" engraved... or R(lightning-bolt)N
like ac/dc does.

Does this ring any bells to anyone? Maybe RSN is the bolt maker ?

The boost does hit 2bar on the stock gauge but I've been told that it's not very accurate.

How many differnt vendors did/do chips? Just trying to figure out what I'm running... maybe it's just a bolt on, with no chips?

Quick Reply: My last attempt to get help somewhere: what's wrong with my car?