944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil and coolant consumption question??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011 | 04:36 AM
Vizard424
Track Day

Default Oil and coolant consumption question??

Hey I have a small problem with my car...

My oil and coolant seem to be disappearing out of no where
I just replaced all the coolant lines with silicon and there seems to be no leaks at all! I'm figuring it's a bad HG but I might be missing something here.
As for the oil, I've gone through 3 qt. in less than 3,000 miles! Although I've been told that these cars love to eat oil but I doubt it's supposed to lose that much!

Am I pretty close to guessing that it's all due to a faulty HG? Or can the missing coolant and oil be from two separate problems entirely?
Old 08-05-2011 | 08:22 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Check the oil and coolant for mixing. Are you seeing any smoke from the tailpipe? If you're burning that much oil you should see a bluish smoke at times.

The coolant loss just could be your system filling in air pockets. Try bleeding the system again to ensure you have all the air out, top up the coolant, then keep an eye on it.
Old 08-05-2011 | 10:22 AM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

+1 what he said...how are your front seals and other areas that you can see. when i run mine real hard then i may need to add a little bit of oil every few thousand miles but otherwise 3 qt is A LOT of oil to add something is not right. Check you IC pipes. Could be turbo going bad, rings, seals etc...

jerome - you have PM.
Old 08-06-2011 | 06:12 AM
Vizard424
Track Day

A friend of mine noticed that sometimes when I floor it there's a little bit of white smoke but nothing else besides that. I'll definitely try bleeding the coolant again tho.

I haven't seen any leaks around the engine and I've been under several times since I've noticed the missing oil and coolant. What indications are there that my lead to a bad turbo?

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it but I do have a massive exhaust leak from my headers that I haven't addressed yet as well as a faulty aux water pump which for the moment I have disconnected.

Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply: Oil and coolant consumption question??