Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Scott Gomes / Under Pressure performance still around?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Tms951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scott Gomes / Under Pressure performance still around?

I had Scott set my car up with a Tec3r years ago.

He basically sold me on the fact that what I was really buying was the support he would provide. Being that he was 30 minutes from me I went for it.

I have not been able to get in touch with him for as much as two years now.

His website is still up and his phone is still connected.

The last story I got from him, was the dyno shop he used was closed. I asked if we could use another dyno, he was not interested.

My car needs to be retuned. I have considered taking it to Chris, but he is ~6 hours from me.

I found this thread: http://forums.rennlist.com/ But could not find the thread it was referring too. Additionally for a reason I don't understand that thread is locked.

Hopefully this thread can serve to help the community figure out what is going on with Scott. I had a customer at my shop who had a similar story to mine, he said Scott just disappeared on him after selling him a Tec3r.

The part that really bothers me was the promise of "The best customer support"

In the mean time BBW
Old 08-04-2011, 04:15 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I live about 30 minutes away from electromotive...

http://www.distributorless.com/

That having been said, I got a different EMS from Chris, and can say he is worth the effort!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 PM
George D
Drifting

Drive the six hours and just get it done.

George
Old 08-05-2011, 12:42 AM
95ONE
Race Car

But first, clean off the inch thick pile of dust that is on your Rennlist button! lol. where ya been?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Scott is still around, but I don't know what level he is still involved. I know he is still supporting some of his racing customers, sort of like what Millage is/was doing.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Tms951
Pro

Originally Posted by 95ONE
But first, clean off the inch thick pile of dust that is on your Rennlist button! lol. where ya been?
I have been busy and the 951 has not gotten any attention. It needs some work here and there and really needs a tune. I put a super 75 back on it years ago and never got it re-tuned.

I spent some time dealing with Scott and he kept canceling or not responding. I finally gave up and let the project sit.

I started my own shop that does Audi, VW, and BMW service work and performance work. 95% of our customers are all into the aftermarket stuff.

The main thing is in Jan. 2008 I bought an E46 M3 as a daily driver. I tracked it that spring and pretty quickly lost interest in the 951. The M3 is just such a phenomenal piece of engineering. Bone stock it was a total pleasure to track. It made the 951 look like an even bigger money pit than it was.

Based on what we sell at the shop and our customer base I have put all my time and money into the M3. The 951 has a thick layer of dust on it and it lives in the corner of my shop. My M3 http://banchwerks.com/theom3list.html

At this point I want to get the 951 tuned so I can at least drive it. I guess I am going to try to make time this fall to drive it out to Chris and get it re-tuned.

I had been wanting to up the fuel system to try to run higher boost on race gas. I was previously starting to run out of fueling at the ~400whp level. At this point I am just going to get it tuned on 93oct with the fueling system I have now. I would think I would run out of fueling around the same time I start to need higher octane. I hope to run it at about 18psi and close to the 400whp I used to make at 23-21psi.

When the 951 is going again, I will start posting, or at least lurking again.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:47 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's your personal car and you own a performance shop. Tune it yourself and add that skill to the shop capabilities.

"No project is to big or to small for us to handle whether you are building the show car you always wanted, taking your street car to the next level or creating a full stage rally car from the ground up we shy from no challenges."
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Tms951
Pro

I have done a little tuning, and taken an "EFI 101" class. It was interesting. It just drives me nuts a little. I would prefer some one with experience with the Tec3r do it, as well as experience with this engine.

We do projects at the shop, but some stuff is just not our expertise or capability. Tuning on a project is something we would sub out to some one who specializes in it. Same with body work.

A Dyno is a very expensive piece of equipment to have at a shop. It really can't be justified if it is not being run all day. Its not something we want to get into. We had a dyno at the last shop I worked at and ended up selling it.

The biggest issue I have had in trying to find some one else more local to tune it is finding some one really familiar with the tec3r. I have ha two other tuners try and they just didn't do a good job because they were learning the Tec3 as they went.

At this point it seems strapping it to a trailer and dropping it off with Chris White is my best option to get a good tune on it. At that point I will be more motivated to finish the project over the winter.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:12 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tms951
I have done a little tuning, and taken an "EFI 101" class. It was interesting. It just drives me nuts a little. I would prefer some one with experience with the Tec3r do it, as well as experience with this engine.

We do projects at the shop, but some stuff is just not our expertise or capability. Tuning on a project is something we would sub out to some one who specializes in it. Same with body work.

A Dyno is a very expensive piece of equipment to have at a shop. It really can't be justified if it is not being run all day. Its not something we want to get into. We had a dyno at the last shop I worked at and ended up selling it.

The biggest issue I have had in trying to find some one else more local to tune it is finding some one really familiar with the tec3r. I have ha two other tuners try and they just didn't do a good job because they were learning the Tec3 as they went.

At this point it seems strapping it to a trailer and dropping it off with Chris White is my best option to get a good tune on it. At that point I will be more motivated to finish the project over the winter.
Aww right road trip! Well sort of but it does fit in with the expense pain and frustration of maintaining and or modding these cars!
So while that would be a PIA, it's not outta line for one of these cars (actually that could happen with any car) and I think it would be well worth the effort!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you bring it up I will give you the ‘Masters degree’ EFI course so you understand how the Tec works!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris White
If you bring it up I will give you the ‘Masters degree’ EFI course so you understand how the Tec works!
OK, NOW DRIVE. Great offer from a nice guy.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:04 PM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris White
"The Man" has chimed in!!!

Quick Reply: Scott Gomes / Under Pressure performance still around?