Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 07:39 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

David, I do not recommend a restrictor... If your turbo is built correctly, there is no problem..
Most problems seem to relate to bad oil drainage, which can be caused by a bad oil return line (not likely) or an elevated crankcase pressure due to bad rings, bad crankcase ventilation system....

Did you ever get your car tuned?
Old 11-14-2003, 09:05 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running a .050 restrictor in my Turbonetics BB turbo for a while now both on and off the track with zero problems.

This has substantially reduced the oil problem I was having.

Also, I've spoken at great length with Innovative and Turbonics about the oiling issues, and both have agreed that Porsches have too much oil pressure and volumn going to the turbo. This is infact reflected by the fact that Innovative, with their new dual BB turbos, have a restrictor built into the top of the turbo.

Both have suggested that I try a restrictor. I did, and wish I had gone smaller ( .045 ), and wish I had done it a long time ago.

Also the particle clogging thing is nonsense. If you manage to have a particles .050 (which is pretty big) running through your oiling system, you're going to have engine failure for sure... not just turbo failure.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:21 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by fast951
David, I do not recommend a restrictor... If your turbo is built correctly, there is no problem..
Most problems seem to relate to bad oil drainage, which can be caused by a bad oil return line (not likely) or an elevated crankcase pressure due to bad rings, bad crankcase ventilation system....

Did you ever get your car tuned?
No, I have been making due with my old MAF, I do have a wideband so keeping it on the safe side.

Just with all of the blowing oil from high leakdown numbers and I am caught up in the Guru mess, things just have not worked out.

Once the engine is repaired and I get my money back from Guru, I WILL be buying a Vitesse kit as I should have well over a year ago.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:23 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Tony, Perhaps when people start adding restrictors and destroying their turbos, you'll be glad to pitch in and fix it for them...

A turbo spinning at 100K rpm will be destroyed in no time if there is oil starvation. How many miles do you have on your engine. Probably not many. Others have in excess of 100K miles, and some are not religious about changing oil. Oil contamination? Sludge? Perhaps you should open up an oil filter and see what's inside of it before you call things as nonsense..
Anyway, you are the expert here... Have a great weekend...
Old 11-15-2003, 12:31 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

>>>Hey Tony, Perhaps when people start adding restrictors and destroying their turbos, you'll be glad to pitch in and fix it for them... <<<

I didn't fix anything for them. I simply restated the advice I was given by Turbonetics and Innovative Turbo, as well as stating my personal experience with the usage of a .050 restrictor.

>>>A turbo spinning at 100K rpm will be destroyed in no time if there is oil starvation. <<<

Really? I had never thought of that... I guess I should remove my .050 restrictor then eh?

>>>Oil contamination? Sludge? Perhaps you should open up an oil filter and see what's inside of it before you call things as nonsense.. <<<

Last time I checked, the oil feeding the turbo is filtered by the OIL FILTER before it is sent to the turbo. Maybe I'm wrong here?

>>>Anyway, you are the expert here... Have a great weekend...<<<

OK. Thanks I'll try to. You have a good weekend too.

Oh and by the way... maybe you can recite the the oil volumn and pressure available at the turbo by the factory feed? Because we all know that you've measured it. And.. I'm sure you can tell us exactly what the oil pressure and volumn necessary is for a Garrett turbo that you sell.. because you engineer and build the ones you sell right? Because they are somehow different than the turbos that anybody here can buy off-the-shelf from Innovative or Turbonetics right?

That's what I thought.

TonyG
Old 11-15-2003, 12:51 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Tony, I got to hand it to you. You ask a question and answer it all by yourself. Thank you for the great educational episode...
It's always fun reading your posts...
My fault, some things are best ignored...

Now, I'll enjoy the weekend...
Old 11-15-2003, 01:23 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

How come we never hear about KKK turbos having oiling problems? Yet they use the exact same oil drainage as every other turbo (as well as the same oil supply).

Wonder why it's just people with the Garretts that have the problem 99.9% of the time.

TonyG

TonyG
Old 11-15-2003, 06:47 AM
Tomas L
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A ballbearing needs less oil flow than a plain bearing, therefore you need a bigger restrictor on a conventional turbo than on a BB type.

Tomas
Old 11-15-2003, 10:57 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The only time my bb turbo had blowby was at idle. The dynamic seals would relax and waala. BB's have openings on the axess unlike sleeve type bearings witch are sealed 360 degress. I installed the restrictor and no more blowby at idle. Before I installed it I spoke to an engineer at turbonetics that said BB type turbos only need a spray of oil not a saturation. All is well If it's under warranty. Keep in mind that intended use of these turbos are for off road use ( Were oil smoke doesn't matter performance dose). Our intention is for street use. If there is a price to pay time will tell. It's better than every one looking at you at a red light and laughing under there breath. It's bad enough a 944 joke. It smokes like a freight train too.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:36 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by TonyG

Also the particle clogging thing is nonsense. If you manage to have a particles .050 (which is pretty big) running through your oiling system, you're going to have engine failure for sure... not just turbo failure.
Yeah I'd have to agree with that.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:04 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

We run a restrictor (1/16th") on the turbo in the widebody turbo track car. I posted earlier in this thread of the oiling and cures for the garrets, and the restrictor is the ticket. Tony and I are not the only ones that use them, Turbonetics, and Majestic as well will say the same thing. The new turbos need far less oil in the galley then the older KKK units, to much oil will destroy the bearings. Its been about three years now since I started installing them, and not one turbo has come back bad from oil starvation. A restrictor is not starving the turbo, try hooking up a 1/16" restrictor to a hose then add about 70psi pressure to that hose, I bet you get very good oil flow, but not so much as to flood the galley.

Take Care,
Old 11-15-2003, 02:11 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess its not just us that run restrictors on garretts....

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show.../t-410384.html

http://www.lextreme.com/TT-System.htm

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=144586

Sounds like the majority of turbo oiling issues are solved or significantly reduced by using a restrictor
Old 11-15-2003, 06:03 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Just to check, if you still have a KKK center section, but Garrett housings and wheels, the oil pressure isn't a problem?
Old 11-15-2003, 08:37 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

What material 1/8" npt plug shall would you use, I guess brass or stainless would be good right?
Old 11-16-2003, 12:27 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

B951S

Just to the hardware store, and get a 1/8" Allen plug.

You have to cut it down as it's usually too large to thread all the way down flush becauase of the compression threads.

Drill what ever size hole you want, and make sure to make a counter bore with a larger bit on the side that will face the turbo.

Quick Reply: Cure Garrett Turbo Oil Leaking Problem