Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rebuilding calipers need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 08:00 PM
tecart
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rebuilding calipers need advice

my calipers seem to be binding up on the front, the car is a 1986 944 turbo, do you think that the slider plates could have corrosion under them thus causing the binding up of the brake pads? has anyone bought new slider plates and replaced this part? How hard is it to do? also if i was not going into the process of replacing the pistons in the caliper but i want to replace any other part that my be causing my brake binding what other parts should i get and replace on each caliper? I have new pads, rotors, stainless brake lines, super blue brake fluid as a side note already, but this lack of proper full brake power is from binding and if the slider plates can be changed id like to know who its done, thnaks
Old 04-09-2003, 02:38 AM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just doing this to my rear brakes about two hours ago. There is a procedure:

<a href="http://prospeedmotorsport.com/caliper_re-condition.htm" target="_blank">http://prospeedmotorsport.com/caliper_re-condition.htm</a>

The site sells the parts too. I had to pry my pads out with a 2 foot screw driver so I suspected the slider plates were not sliding. I tried to remove them by heating the 4mm allen head bolt but I couldn't any of the four to budge and I was worried about stripping them. I pulled the pads and sanded some rust off the edges of the backing plates to get them to move somewhat freely.

I am still not happy with the binding force so I am ordering new rotors and pads. If that doesn't fix it I will be ordering some professionally rebuilt calipers. Glad I bought a power bleeder this year.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:49 PM
ringo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same exact problem with mine. I had to pry my old pads out and almost beat the new ones in. Of course after that the fronts were so tight they were not even being applied correctly, so the braking sucked. I pulled them again, and bought new pads. I thought the pads were just manufactured wrong, ie a little too wide. I used a different brand pad with the same problem, so I just used my grinder to shave a little of the metal that hangs over the sides of the pads. Thus reducing the overall width of the pad frame. Then they just slid right in and braking is back. I guess my problem is the metal frame that is inside the caliper.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:27 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
All my calipers are currently being powder coated. In order to do this you need to remove the spring plates... which is no easy job for the faint of heart. The Allen screws must be heated cherry red with a torch, and this will destroy the exposed seals, so you'll need new ones. I'm installing all new spring plates (this is a Porsche repair kit), and all new seals. This is an expensive rebuild. I think for an '86 turbo it would be less money (and a LOT less hassle) to just buy new calipers or find some good used ones from an '87+. You'll get the larger pistons.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding calipers need advice