Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing HG, time to do some other mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 04:34 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know I generally do things a little differently, but if I were going to recommend a path for someone else that I would expect great reliability I would suggest

3" exhaust

o-ring head using widefire

stock studs

new wg (good brand)

turbo would depend on whether you want to fab something or buy direct fit. I'd either look at t a gt30r (fabbed and change DP) or a 50 trim dbb using an 8 cm hs I believe Pauer tuning has a stocked item.

M-tune with injectors. I know Josh is a new guy on the block with this but I have experienced great drivability and performance as well as others have.

New clutch for sure IMO. Southbend is a great item.

If the budget allows I'd look at some headwork and a cam.

I am pretty maxxed out right now, unless I run crazy boost, and I can see that the head and cam become a bottleneck around 340 hp. Over that the boost to HP ratio starts to diminish.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

my turbo is worn and it makes sense to replace it while doing the head gasket. Vitesse might be a good option, how much can I expect from stage 3 in terms of reliable hp with 99RON fuel?

EDIT: What about the Precision 55mm dual BB from SFR?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the more hosepower you put out the less reliable your engine will be. but depends on how you drive.
if you have around 350 rwhp and it's street driven and sees low boost and now and then high boost, it'll be reliable, if you drive with your foot to the floor and see full boost on every chance you get, don't expect your engine to last as long.

Your engine is as strong as the weakest part.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Those cylinders don't look so great. I'd recommend dropping the crossmember to change your rod bearings, change or reinforce your oil pickup tube, and install an extra baffle in the oil pan. IMHO these things are more important than anything else if it's to be tracked.

When you have the crossmember off, you might want to consider the Lindsey 3-piece crossmember for future rod bearing changes. It's not essential, but I've been told you will be 100% in love with it the next time you need to drop the pan.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:05 PM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Looking at the expenses and the likely drop in reliability, I'm starting to consider rebuilding my 26-6 to a 26-8 and just add a MAF kit.

BTW, whats wrong with the cylinders? To my untrained eye they look good.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, they're scratched. If the scratches aren't deep enough to catch a fingernail, it's OK, but still represent instances of oiling problems at the rings. It could be because of oil supply (starvation), pressure (too hot and thin), or something else. I'm no expert, I just know enough to see that the engine needs some improvement to survive the flogging it's getting.

Quick Reply: Replacing HG, time to do some other mods?