Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

To Ceramic or Not??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002 | 03:38 AM
Badue
Advanced

Question To Ceramic or Not??

What do you guys think of ceramic coating of the entire combustion chamber including the valve heads? Are the stock exhaust valves coated from the factory? Mine were and the coating is chipped and pitted. Are not the techniques for ceramic coating greatly improved in the last few years? Should the whole deck surface of the head be coated and then polished? I've got my head off for a blown head gasket and want to do some head work while it's off, so what do you think??

Thanks
Old 07-25-2002 | 09:13 PM
86944turbo
Racer

I received a call from Jon Milledge a couple of months back. He told me that one of his motors, that was all but identical to mine had broken an exhaust valve. The entire valve was of a nickel-vac compound. Since I had the exact same valve material, he wanted to replace the ex. valves. I sent him the head My valves were perfect. They were replaced as a precaution. Now, just the face is nickel-vac. The only difference, was that mine were ceramic coated. I do not run on a race track, however, I run more boost than most of his motors. Small amounts of the ceramic coating may be chipped off during valve installation. That is not a big deal. My motor has the combustion chamber, both valves and ex. port coated. The pistons use a gold coat. The technology has come a long way in the past 5 yrs.
Old 07-25-2002 | 09:17 PM
Deepice
Pro

If its coatings you want.. get them from Swaintech

Swaintech formulates there own coatings and they are way better than every body else.

<a href="http://www.swaintech.com./index.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.swaintech.com./index.shtml</a>
Old 07-26-2002 | 02:31 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I'll agree the coatings are much better. We use ceramic coated rolls on our aluminizing line. These rolls are suspended in a molten bath of aluminum at 1270F with a steel strip traveling accross them at 300 fpm. The coatings hold up well.

As far as engines go I'd keep in mind what is spinning at 100K just a few feet away. With that in mind I'd read up on my vendors.

Swaintech looks to be a good choice.

Alan

Alan

Quick Reply: To Ceramic or Not??