Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MBC, banjo bolt, WG shims: all for the same purpose???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 09:58 AM
turboven
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MBC, banjo bolt, WG shims: all for the same purpose???

Will some one explain me if a Manual Boost Controler, Banjo Bolt and Wastegate Shims are for the same purpose: Increase Boost. Can they work togheter to get more boost?
And what about a Blow Off VAlve instead of the stock valve, will it increase boost also?
Old 05-20-2003, 11:29 AM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

A BOV shouldn't increase any boost... it's function is pretty similar to the stock cycling valve, if I'm not mistaken. That's all I can tell you
Old 05-20-2003, 12:45 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

As far as the wastegate goes, shims are normally used to compensate for the factory spring that gets weak over time. Boost builds to a predetermined level (by your CV if stock, your banjo bolt jet size or MBC if aftermarket) and vents any pressure above that. If the spring is weak you will vent pressure before you reach 15psi in some cases. Meaning...you are losing boost. MBC and the banjo bolt do the same thing...they determine how much boost you are gonna run.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:01 PM
turboven
Advanced

Ok, now I see that I have some extra parts in my car: Original CV still mounted, a MBC that came with Superchips and a Banjo Bolt that my old mechanic made me buy. Also I have a Blow Off Valve, but at least it does well its job because it is to hold boost while shifting.
I guess I'll be removing some, any suggestions?
Old 05-20-2003, 03:29 PM
Chas
Pro

do you mean BOV or CBV (CBV being stock)? A true "Blow Off Valve" does just that, blows off the pressure to atmosphere. This doesn't help to keep the turbo spooled, and can also account for some ultra rich conditions during shifts.

If you really care a ton about performance, and you do infact have a BOV, go back to a CBV
Old 05-20-2003, 04:26 PM
turboven
Advanced

It is a BOV which I have had for over 5 years and it has worked fine in and out track. About 2 years ago a went back to CBV for a track session and the difference in power while shifting was extremely noticeable.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:30 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Can anyone tell me why the stock wastegate spring can't be changed to the same size spring with just higher rate/spring load?

As opposed to shimming??
Old 05-20-2003, 04:33 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

With 1.2 bar and K-27 and chips to match, you should be well over 330 hp.

You sure your chips are correct??? Stock injectors????
Old 05-20-2003, 04:36 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can try the new seq. bov that holds to atmospeheric pressure during up shifts and down shifts...boost response is much better and you dont have that pesky wait for boost to come back on coming out of a turn.i think they are about $250..you will need to keep your wastegate shim in place if the stock spring has not been changed.This might also be part of your loosing boost pressure problem.I also use a lindsey boost enhancer along with the shim and it works great..goodluck
Old 05-20-2003, 05:03 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

As far as just replacing the spring, I beleive the stock wastegates are not rebuildable. Lindsey was able to rebuild them with better parts (modified) using the core, but as far as a stock rebuild I don't think it can be done.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:33 PM
turboven
Advanced

Ok, now I see that I have some extra parts in my car: Original CV still mounted, a MBC that came with Superchips and a Banjo Bolt that my old mechanic made me buy. Also I have a Blow Off Valve, but at least it does well its job because it is to hold boost while shifting.
I guess I'll be removing some, any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2003, 12:17 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
My thoughts.
Leave the CV, just bypass it.
Leave the wastegate shims, it will help you hold boost to a higher RPM.
Take the restrictor out of the banjo bolt the manual boost controller does the same thing.

Use the Manual Boost Controller if it not one of the screw type controllers. If so, then buy one of the reliaboost controllers for $39 from Gururacing. They are a popoff type. The difference is that it will hold the boost until it reaches the boost setting. As opposed to bleeding off boost as it reaches it's peak. (Same as the LR Boost Enhancer)
Old 05-21-2003, 03:05 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MBC's which came with Super Chips are usually connected to CV. Iam not sure if this is a good or bad. I would bypass CV, remove that MBC which came with Super chips. Replace those Super chips with Guru chips and get a good MBC.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:00 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I just switched stock BOV to 993 TT(Bosch 108 model) and it is a big difference between shifts. And only like 40 bucks. Plus, I will sell my old one on ebay. The ricers love the Porsche/Bosch BOV.

Quick Reply: MBC, banjo bolt, WG shims: all for the same purpose???