Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New member - couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011 | 01:39 PM
Scott72
Intermediate

Default New member - couple of questions

Hi,
Been a long time 911 guy that decided to change it up. Bought a 1988 Turbo S. Love it so far. Car has some mods and I'm trying to figure out what is good and what I should upgrade/replace. Many of them were done back in 1999 about 20K ago. Here is what I have:

K27 w/lightweight rotor group
Autothority Mass-Air group and chip
Big Bore Throttle Body
Flow Matched Bosch Injectors
B&B exhaust
TurboCup clutch w/ PMR Lightweight Flywheel

I don't have a lot of info on these mods, just what is written on the invoice and that they were done at PMR (Precision Motorsports Racing) in NJ.

Just by doing a little research I know there are better kits out there than the Autothority MAF/Chip. Car is just running an old school narrow band A/F gauge (pretty useless). I have an Innovate MTX that I'm going to replace it with. Should tell me a little more on how it is running. Car feels extremely strong and will whip up on my Trailblazer SS with an LS2. Do you guys feel I should look to upgrade the Autothority Kit? Anything else I should look at in terms of what I have? Car has 99K on it and all the regular maintance items have been replaced.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2011 | 01:53 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I would ditch the Autothority kit, and defer to either Rogue tuning or Vitesse..

I know of 2 Vitesse setups available used, PM me for more info on either setup.

Other than that I would take a close look at the wastegate and boost controller setup, many here love their manual boost controllers.. me? not so much.

And welcome to RL..
Old 07-18-2011 | 01:59 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any pictures you can post up? It would be interesting to know more about that "big bore throttle body" as that is not a common or really usually needed modification...
Old 07-18-2011 | 02:12 PM
Scott72
Intermediate

I will try to get some pictures up later in the week. I am also curious what a "Big Bore" throttle body is. Just poking around I haven't read much about people upgrading this. All I know is that the original owner paid $357 for it in 1999.

I most likely will upgrade the MAF. Read a lot about autothority running lean etc. It may have been the best to offer in 1999 when installed, but the new kits look better with more options for tuning etc.
Old 07-18-2011 | 02:29 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

welcome Scott...I bet the car does feel strong! Any suspension or drivetrain mods?

And yes we love pics!!!
Old 07-18-2011 | 03:13 PM
Scott72
Intermediate

The suspension mods look modest. It has a set of TurboCup front and rear sway bars and bushings. It's running the Koni's it came with. Front control arms were replaced with 968 arms in the last 5k. Rear torsion bar was re-indexed to lower the car a tad. Running on Kinesis rims. Only drivetrain mods I see are is the clutch/flywheel and a short shifter (not sure what manufacturer).
Old 07-18-2011 | 04:33 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I agree with john, go vittesse or rogue tuning maf kit. best 2 systems in the market as we speak.
Old 07-18-2011 | 08:12 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

I don't believe the car needs that big bore throttle body, since there are other things that need to be upgraded first before the original TB gets outflowed.

I agree with the others; get rid of the autothority stuff.

Do you know what size the hot side of that k27 is?

How long have you had this car for now? What do you plan on doing with/to it? Are there any noticeable leaks on the floor or collecting on the belly pan? It would be a good idea if not already done to put on new vacuum hoses and replace coolant hoses. Lindsey has a nice silicone kit for that... I would replace the head gasket if still original or unknown, so you don't get stranded on the highway in the middle of nowhere like me last week after a failed HG. Make sure timing and balance shaft belts, rollers, and water pump are all fresh. That's a good time to do some front seals, and there are good sites that sell these kits for all that too.

All in all, make sure the car is up to par with maintenance before diving head first into 'mods', or else you'll run into a world of pain and frustrations.

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2011 | 11:23 AM
Scott72
Intermediate

Thanks for the advise. Head gasket was replaced around 20K ago, so I think I am okay there. Pan gasket was also done 10K ago. I've only had the car two weeks, so I'm haven't even had a chance to really dig into it. It failed emissions last year and was previous owner brought it to a shop and they replaced a couple of vacuum hoses. It is due again for emissions in two month, so we will see how that goes (I have the cat/original exhaust that will go on). I do plan to take the intake off and inspect/replace any lines that need it. Same thing I did to my 80's BMW.

Before I put any miles on it I will aslo have the pump/belts done. Done less then 10K ago, but I'm more worried about the years. It was over 3 years ago.
Here is a pic:

Quick Reply: New member - couple of questions