Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cycling valve experts-need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 12:40 PM
MarkBytes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I'm a slow learner, but the above posts sounds like it answers a dillemma I've had.

Since I have a Lindsay Boost Enhancer (LBE) already installed it sounds like my Cycling Valve (CV) is no longer required(?). It would be great to remove and get rid of the questionable leaky fittings and vacuum line.

Question: Is there an easy way to describe how to get the CV out of the picture and reroute the vacuum lines (plug, splice, etc) that currently go to it? Thanks! - Mark
Old 05-21-2003, 01:17 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Question: Is there an easy way to describe how to get the CV out of the picture and reroute the vacuum lines (plug, splice, etc) that currently go to it?"

Simple. Get a new 4-foot long 1/4"-ID thickwalled hose and run it straight from the outlet of the LBE to the inlet port on top of the wastegate.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:29 PM
MarkBytes
Instructor

Danno,
Thanks for the quick response. I apologize for my stupid questions, but I find it hard to reconcile the terminology in the Porsche Manual and the terminology here (wastegates, CV, etc.).

Two problems:
1. The Cycling valve has 3 hoses and electronic connection. One hose goes under the manifold to a metal tube. This is broke off and flailing in the breeze. Should it and the other two hoses be capped off? I assume the electrical connection should also be removed, but not jumped.

2. Your note references running a hose from the LBE to the wastegate. At the risk of Porsche riducule.....where do I locate the wastegate? I'll gladly search for a picture if someone can direct me anyplace other than the horrid Porsche photos in the factory manual.

Many thanks! (I'll beback at you for Guru chips soon!). - Mark
Old 05-21-2003, 04:50 PM
mikjel
Advanced

From Danno:
The new MAP-sensor boxes we're using does have an electronic boost-controller built-in, but it still requires a boost-solenoid to manage boost. The stock CV would work in this capacity.

My question:
Does this mean that the new boxes (with boost-controller) is ready for us to order now?

M.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:13 AM
AlphaOne
Advanced

on my 86 I have a maf and no boost controller, the cycling valve was removed.

markbytes : the wastgate is located near the starting point of your exhaust pipe. if you open your hood and look at your engine, it is in the upper-left side all the way down (underside of the car). it's hard to see from the top but can be glimpsed. if you look under the passenger front tire with a bright light you may see it. I belive it is at the intersection of 2 or 3 pipes, just after all 4 of the exhaust pipes merge into 1.

I'ld also like to know the CV removal procedure. ?cap all the hoses and remove the wire?

thanks,
.:AlphaOne:.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:44 PM
AlphaOne
Advanced

bump
Old 05-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"I'ld also like to know the CV removal procedure. ?cap all the hoses and remove the wire?"

If you mean 'removal' like in taking its function away because you've bypassed it with a manual controller and running your own line to the wastegate, then you don't have to do a thing. Just leave it hooked up as is, it's just cycling into nothing.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:22 PM
MarkBytes
Instructor

Danno,
I meant a couple things by "Removing the CV"...

1. Bypass the function. Use hose from LBE to wastegate as you proposed.
2. Get the yellowed ugly brittle broken piece of plastic out of my engine compartment.

So, cap the hoses? Leave open?
Will the dash Boost guage still operate (I assume it does not get its signal from the CV?)?
Old 05-22-2003, 07:26 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Mark, Your boost guage will work fine. plug the hose that goes to the intake boot(or plug the boot and remove the hose). run your hose from the LBE to the wastegate..leave the electrical connection unplugged..take the valve out and smash it with a hammer, put it on e-bay or give it to Mike..and your done.
hope that helps....
Old 05-26-2003, 10:33 PM
MarkBytes
Instructor

Thanks all! CV retired. LBE hosed directly to wastegate. All is smooth (must've had some air leaks).

Thanks again. - Mark
Old 05-27-2003, 12:06 AM
AlphaOne
Advanced

can anyone post a diagram of this?. Include the wastegate, MBC, and source Tubes.

if no one post, I'll do it after I figure it out.

thanks,
-john

Quick Reply: Cycling valve experts-need help